+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Received call by Statistics Canada asking if I new my mother (on visitor visa) and I refused it thinking SPAM

karanbir498

May 5, 2019
Hello,

I am in Canada on PGWP (got it around 10 months ago). And just recently, my mom is here in Canada just visiting me for 6 months (this is second time she came here, last time was around October last year for about 2 weeks, then she went back and came here for 6 months again in December). Of course, I sponsored her both times.

Now today at 7pm, I received call from this number: 118004611662, claiming to be Statistics Canada. And the guy asked me if I knew who <my-mother's-name> was. At that time, I was almost certain that this is a scam, so I lied that I didnt know who that person was, and he cut the call immediately. But now I am wondering if he really was from Statistics Canada and if me or my mom will be in trouble because of discrepancy in the info I provided.

Of course, I'll call both CIC and Stats-Canada to confirm this on Monday, but also wanted some opinions until then.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I am in Canada on PGWP (got it around 10 months ago). And just recently, my mom is here in Canada just visiting me for 6 months (this is second time she came here, last time was around October last year for about 2 weeks, then she went back and came here for 6 months again in December). Of course, I sponsored her both times.

Now today at 7pm, I received call from this number: 118004611662, claiming to be Statistics Canada. And the guy asked me if I knew who <my-mother's-name> was. At that time, I was almost certain that this is a scam, so I lied that I didnt know who that person was, and he cut the call immediately. But now I am wondering if he really was from Statistics Canada and if me or my mom will be in trouble because of discrepancy in the info I provided.

Of course, I'll call both CIC and Stats-Canada to confirm this on Monday, but also wanted some opinions until then.
Sounds like a scam.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hello,

If the caller ID lists an 800-range number, it’s definitely a scam.

Ange Divine

Feb 21, 2020
Hello,

It is definitely a scam. If an immigration want to contact you they will send you an email which and you will definitely have to go to your cic account to see the message.
We recently got the message from my college about.