+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reapplying for TRV for bf after refusal 1 year ago

starseed35

Oct 10, 2014
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Malaysia, and in a relationship with a Malaysian man. One year ago, my boyfriend applied for a TRV to join me in visiting my family and friends during Christmas in Canada. His TRV was denied and as you can imagine, we were both devastated. The application took ages to prepare, and we were very thorough and honest in the application. There was absolutely nothing shady about his reasons for wanting to visit Canada with me - it was simply to spend time with my family and experience a Canadian winter/Christmas!

He would like to apply for a TRV again to visit my friends and family in Canada with me this December, though to be honest, I'm not very optimistic. :(

I have a few questions before we attempt another application:

1. Should he address the reasons why he was denied the first time he applied, which was one year ago? For example, one of the reasons the CIC listed was that his "purpose of visit" was unacceptable. When I later applied for the GCMS notes to find out exactly what the problem was, it listed that the CIC did not believe we were in an authentic relationship. They said it was suspicious that I was living and working in Canada, while my boyfriend lived in Malaysia. :eek: The agent who handled his case clearly didn't read his application thoroughly. I submitted documentation about my job in Malaysia (my work visa, a letter detailing my employment with the government of Malaysia, an invitation letter from my parents that stated their daughter (me) was working in Malaysia etc). Should he address all of the points the CIC listed as reasons to deny him entry (all of which were contestable), in this new application?

2. Would it be worth listing him and I as common law partners? Would this help or hurt our case? Technically, from a Canadian point of view, we are common law - we've lived together for 2 years; however, in Malaysia, it's illegal for us to be living together unmarried, so obviously this isn't stated in any official Malaysian documentation.

3. My boyfriend recently changed jobs - bad timing, I know. By the time he applies for this TRV, he will only have been at his current company for one month. His new boss has already granted him time off in December for a few weeks, should his TRV be approved. Is this going to look absolutely terrible to the CIC? In your opinion, should he even bother reapplying if the fact he's only recently started at his company might raise alarm bells with the CIC?

4. Since we do live our lives as common law partners, would it be helpful to submit my salary slips as well? I do earn a considerable amount more than he does.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Trying to stay positive! :D

Jessica123

Sep 17, 2015
starseed35 said:
Hi all,

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Malaysia, and in a relationship with a Malaysian man. One year ago, my boyfriend applied for a TRV to join me in visiting my family and friends during Christmas in Canada. His TRV was denied and as you can imagine, we were both devastated. The application took ages to prepare, and we were very thorough and honest in the application. There was absolutely nothing shady about his reasons for wanting to visit Canada with me - it was simply to spend time with my family and experience a Canadian winter/Christmas!

He would like to apply for a TRV again to visit my friends and family in Canada with me this December, though to be honest, I'm not very optimistic. :(

I have a few questions before we attempt another application:

1. Should he address the reasons why he was denied the first time he applied, which was one year ago? For example, one of the reasons the CIC listed was that his "purpose of visit" was unacceptable. When I later applied for the GCMS notes to find out exactly what the problem was, it listed that the CIC did not believe we were in an authentic relationship. They said it was suspicious that I was living and working in Canada, while my boyfriend lived in Malaysia. :eek: The agent who handled his case clearly didn't read his application thoroughly. I submitted documentation about my job in Malaysia (my work visa, a letter detailing my employment with the government of Malaysia, an invitation letter from my parents that stated their daughter (me) was working in Malaysia etc). Should he address all of the points the CIC listed as reasons to deny him entry (all of which were contestable), in this new application?

2. Would it be worth listing him and I as common law partners? Would this help or hurt our case? Technically, from a Canadian point of view, we are common law - we've lived together for 2 years; however, in Malaysia, it's illegal for us to be living together unmarried, so obviously this isn't stated in any official Malaysian documentation.

3. My boyfriend recently changed jobs - bad timing, I know. By the time he applies for this TRV, he will only have been at his current company for one month. His new boss has already granted him time off in December for a few weeks, should his TRV be approved. Is this going to look absolutely terrible to the CIC? In your opinion, should he even bother reapplying if the fact he's only recently started at his company might raise alarm bells with the CIC?

4. Since we do live our lives as common law partners, would it be helpful to submit my salary slips as well? I do earn a considerable amount more than he does.

Many thanks in advance for your help. Trying to stay positive! :D
Here are my 2 cents:
1. When you applied 1 year back, did you provide adequate documentation to prove that both of you were in a genuine relationship for past 2 years, this could include joint bank accounts, property, mails addressed to both of you, pictures etc.
2. Now that you are applying again, is there anyone else other than your family who can provide him with an invitation letter?
3. New job could indicate to CIC that relations with home country are weak, but you can try gathering reference letters and recommendations from past employers as well as his previous employment letters.
4. Also bank statements indicating continuous source of income would be helpful.

I read on this forum that it is difficult to convince the visa officer when the person visiting is your bf/gf or fiancée, but give it a shot.

Best of luck.

starseed35

Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for your two cents, Jessica123. :)

I can have my parents, who reside in Canada, write the invitation letter, as they did last time.

The main question I'd like to be advised on is as follows:

Should he address the reasons why he was denied the first time he applied, which was one year ago? For example, one of the reasons the CIC listed was that his "purpose of visit" was unacceptable. When I later applied for the GCMS notes to find out exactly what the problem was, it listed that the CIC did not believe we were in an authentic relationship. They said it was suspicious that I was living and working in Canada, while my boyfriend lived in Malaysia. Shocked The agent who handled his case clearly didn't read his application thoroughly. I submitted documentation about my job in Malaysia (my work visa, a letter detailing my employment with the government of Malaysia, an invitation letter from my parents that stated their daughter (me) was working in Malaysia etc). Should he address all of the points the CIC listed as reasons to deny him entry (all of which were contestable), in this new application?

I know that some people who have reapplied immediately after being rejected have addressed the reasons for rejection in a letter, but in our case, should we, one year later?

starseed35

Oct 10, 2014
Anybody out there? We're a bit desperate as we'd like to file this week and I'd like to know whether or not to address the CIC's previous reasons for refusal. :-\

Jessica123

Sep 17, 2015
starseed35 said:
Anybody out there? We're a bit desperate as we'd like to file this week and I'd like to know whether or not to address the CIC's previous reasons for refusal. :-\
As far as I know TRV applicable requires disclosure about when the previous application was made. CIC website clearly states that those applicants whose visa was rejected can apply again if they have adequate evidence to satisfy the reason for rejection.

Instead of explicitly addressing the rejection, I think make the SOP letter more clear, highlight areas which you think visa officer ignored last time. Include a detailed itinerary of the places you plan to visit as well as more evidence that shows authenticity of your relationship.

Good luck