+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Re : Termination of Contract

flis

Apr 29, 2009
Can someone tell me because a friend of mine who arrives in Canada last December under temporary worker program , working in a farm have encounter a big problem because she is pregnant right now for 1 month . and her employer know's it already . in the law of Canada . will they be sent home to their country by thier broker or employer o she can stay in Canada to give birth ? what will happend her ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not 100% on any of this so I can only give you my best guesses. I am pretty sure she can not be sent home or her contract terminated because she is pregnant. She may go on maternity leave and this may be a problem for the employer because as a farm worker, she is likely living on the farm so if she is not able to work there, she may not have a claim to living there anymore. She may have to find another place to live. She should be covered by health care and she should after 4 or more months of work qualify for EI maternity benefits. She can either go back to work after having the baby when she is fit again and now becomes a problem again if she is allowed to have the baby with her on the farm or not or what she will do with it. Paying for daycare for a baby in Canada can be very costly. If she doesn't want to go back to this job, she has until the end of her work permit to find another job and get the work permit changed. She can stay on maternity benefits for up to a year or until the work permit expires, whichever is sooner.