+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

re-entry visa - granted but have questions re: work permit

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009
Guys,

I and my wife have single-entry worker visas valid till Nov. 2010. We have to go to our home country in Dec. 09 so we applied for a visitor visa so that we may come back and resume office.

They have given us visas which are valid till Mar, 2010 only. I understand that date on visa period is for the time to enter Canada and not to leave Canada in which case we can legally stay for six months after we come to Canada.

I've couple of questions if somebody can answer:

1) Since our work permits are valid till Nov. 2010, can we continue working on the same permit after we come back to Canada? In other words, do they give you a new work permit (and take your existing work permit back when you leave) if you re-enter?

2) Will we have to apply for BC MSP and SIN again?

Anything else that might be useful for us, please let me know.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chiclets said:
Guys,

I and my wife have single-entry worker visas valid till Nov. 2010. We have to go to our home country in Dec. 09 so we applied for a visitor visa so that we may come back and resume office.

They have given us visas which are valid till Mar, 2010 only. I understand that date on visa period is for the time to enter Canada and not to leave Canada in which case we can legally stay for six months after we come to Canada.

No, they will admit you to the expiry of your work permit Nov/10.

I've couple of questions if somebody can answer:

1) Since our work permits are valid till Nov. 2010, can we continue working on the same permit after we come back to Canada? In other words, do they give you a new work permit (and take your existing work permit back when you leave) if you re-enter?

No, they will admit you to the expiry of your same work permit Nov/10.

2) Will we have to apply for BC MSP and SIN again?

No, your SIN is valid to the end of the work permit and MSP is good as long as you are not gone 6 months.

Anything else that might be useful for us, please let me know.

Carry a copy of your work contract with you.

Thanks
PMM

PMM

chiclets

Jul 30, 2009
Thanks PMM. Looking forward to my vacations.

As an extra piece of information for the readers, my PR application is going on in parallel (BC PNP, meds done) and I was afraid they might reject my TRV. But since I'm already in Canada, I guess they could not object on my "intentions".