Champion Member
Feb 13, 2017
Croatia
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
@andieangel are you NOC code 1111? If so, you should watch for the next opening of Nova Scotia PNP as 1111 is one of their in demand codes:
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/move-here/nova-scotia-demand-express-entry/
Thank you @trumprefugee, my lawyers did contact me about this PNP for Nova Scotia but we did some research and we are not so keen on going there, life standard is not so good.

We have our eyes set on Alberta, Calgary, we really have high hopes of getting there...

Last edited:
Reactions: lino82

andieangel

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2017
Croatia
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Yeah, never say never. I actually was going to retire from the corporate world last year to go full time with my athletic and artistic endeavors. But now I am planning to keep working for a while because of this Canada immigration, and I would like to save up a good number of Canadian dollars once I settle down there, so I now am no longer planning to quit corporate jobs any time soon. Also, I have heard that the pace is slower in Canada than it is here in the US (at least the big, demanding companies here in New York), so I might even be able to get to the next level in my sports and arts without quitting the corporate world in Canada. I even interviewed for a job that sounded really interesting to me and would have been something I would have wanted to keep doing indefinitely (unfortunately I was rejected, but that was an eye opener that I might not need to rush the quit the corporate world). Life is full of unexpected twists and turns ...
That's so awsome, about you getting an eye opener! I'm still waiting for that, in sense what I want to do. I'm accountant with 10 years of experience and I love my job, but I'm still thinking I have so much unfulfilled potential and carrier switching in Canada is possible.

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018
That's so awsome, about you getting an eye opener! I'm still waiting for that, in sense what I want to do. I'm accountant with 10 years of experience and I love my job, but I'm still thinking I have so much unfulfilled potential and carrier switching in Canada is possible.
One reason I'm choosing Canada is because there are better opportunities to try something new. Here in the US, at least in the bigger cities, work in technology and finance can be very demanding and take up all your time. There isn't much flexibility to go part time, and losing health insurance when you work part time or take time off is always a big issue. You can really become a slave to your well paying, benefits-providing corporate job here. Health insurance is not an issue in Canada because you can always go on the national plan. I read on some website discussing the startup scene in Toronto that Toronto is a great place for entrepreneurs because you have a growing economy with a lot of technology and finance opportunities, and you don't have to worry that quitting your corporate employee job to start your own business will leave you without health insurance.

andieangel

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2017
Croatia
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
One reason I'm choosing Canada is because there are better opportunities to try something new. Here in the US, at least in the bigger cities, work in technology and finance can be very demanding and take up all your time. There isn't much flexibility to go part time, and losing health insurance when you work part time or take time off is always a big issue. You can really become a slave to your well paying, benefits-providing corporate job here. Health insurance is not an issue in Canada because you can always go on the national plan. I read on some website discussing the startup scene in Toronto that Toronto is a great place for entrepreneurs because you have a growing economy with a lot of technology and finance opportunities, and you don't have to worry that quitting your corporate employee job to start your own business will leave you without health insurance.
That's great, thanks for info! It seems you are 100% ready for Canada, you did your research! Update us more please, when you can. :)

shaun75

Jun 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
NOC Code......
I'm late to this thread, but I agree with everyone who says you guys can switch and your wife would have no obligation to work after landing. Also, one useful tip I learned for listening is that we native or near-native English speakers need to make a conscious effort to stay alert and pay attention. The speakers speak slowly in the listening section, and it can be easy for us natives to doze off and get distracted. I remember taking a practice exam and missing one question because I had gotten distracted.

Also, you should encourage your wife to join this forum!
Ha ha. Is there a dislike button? My wife does read these posts. She worked out my cunning cryptic name and has started to read my posts. I need to resist the urge to make bad spouse jokes.... but it's a losing battle! :oops:

shaun75

Jun 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
NOC Code......
Yes. Native English speakers often assume the IELTS is a joke, but we all have to prepare! I was surprised that my writing score ended up being this low, but it was an effort to write so much by hand now that we all use computers and never write by hand, and my handwriting is terrible. I tried to write as neatly as possible but it still came out as chicken scratch. :eek:
I know exactly what you mean. I did miss a whole listening question because my mind was elsewhere. And the writing! It was a test of endurance. I've never written so much by hand in about 20 years. I couldn't read it so I don't know how a marker could make any sense if it. Maybe he just laughed at it and gave me marks out of pity?

shaun75

Jun 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
NOC Code......
You likely will not find a job as well paid as what you currently make in the UK, unless perhaps you live in a small town in the UK and plan to move to Toronto. Canadian salaries are significantly lower than UK and US salaries. I have been in the job market for a few months and am realistically targeting a salary that is 75-80% of my absolute US dollar salary here. Before that, I was looking for jobs in the UK (when I was still considering the UK and hadn't decided on Canada), and the pay range would have been almost equivalent to my US pay after applying the exchange rate. However, cost of living in Canada is less, and I think quality of life is better than it is in the US or UK. But honestly, I am moving to Canada for quality of life, not for money. If I just wanted to maximize my wealth, I would stay in the US.
I know what you mean, but I think Northern Ireland pays lower than the U.K. average. So hopefully I can find something comparable. I also see housing prices in Canada as sky high. Living costs in other areas are okay, but housing really scares me and is a real stumbling block. We have a lovely house here and a comparable in Canada would be silly money. Another bridge to cross when we get there I guess because, as you say, it's quality of life that counts, not money.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Just wanted to clarify that benefit plans are still important just not as important as in the US. Only basic care is covered. Doctor visits, tests, hospital stays although only in ward rooms (private or semi-private go to those with private insurance and can pay first), medication but only in hospital. Medication is subsidized for those on social assistance and seniors. No vision, dental, physio/massage/chiro/etc, medical/assistive devices, prescriptions, ambulance and there are more. People have the false impression that our medicare is as generous as in Europe. Should mention as someone with a rare disease I am still very thankful but I still spend many thousands yearly.

shaun75

Jun 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
NOC Code......
Yeah, never say never. I actually was going to retire from the corporate world last year to go full time with my athletic and artistic endeavors. But now I am planning to keep working for a while because of this Canada immigration, and I would like to save up a good number of Canadian dollars once I settle down there, so I now am no longer planning to quit corporate jobs any time soon. Also, I have heard that the pace is slower in Canada than it is here in the US (at least the big, demanding companies here in New York), so I might even be able to get to the next level in my sports and arts without quitting the corporate world in Canada. I even interviewed for a job that sounded really interesting to me and would have been something I would have wanted to keep doing indefinitely (unfortunately I was rejected, but that was an eye opener that I might not need to rush the quit the corporate world). Life is full of unexpected twists and turns ...
To familiar to be funny. Work life balance here is very poor. Work rules your life here and we do have a national health service. One of my key objectives is to sort out my balance. I really hope you can find a balance that works for you also.

Last edited:
Reactions: andieangel

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure why people think Canada is much different especially in the larger cities although NYC/Greater SF win hands down but the compensation is so much better so it probably evens out. Don't want people to think Canada is some sort of magical place.

shaun75

Jun 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
NOC Code......
Not sure why people think Canada is much different especially in the larger cities although NYC/Greater SF win hands down but the compensation is so much better so it probably evens out. Don't want people to think Canada is some sort of magical place.
Magical is probably a relative term. To NY or SF or even London it's probably similar in some aspects. But coming from other less developed places in the world it probably is somewhat magical. At least in terms of opportunity. I lived there on and off for some time so I know some of its good and bad. And while I don't think it's magical and paved with gold, I do recognise a much nicer culture, more opportunity and better weather.

So I understand your point and agree with you in terms of going there with your eyes open, but to me it's got a very special place in my heart and that's magical to me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Magical is probably a relative term. To NY or SF or even London it's probably similar in some aspects. But coming from other less developed places in the world it probably is somewhat magical. At least in terms of opportunity. I lived there on and off for some time so I know some of its good and bad. And while I don't think it's magical and paved with gold, I do recognise a much nicer culture, more opportunity and better weather.

So I understand your point and agree with you in terms of going there with your eyes open, but to me it's got a very special place in my heart and that's magical to me.
Sorry was talking about work/life balance:)