+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ray of Hope - 149th Draw - CEC

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
To all the people out there worried about IRCC not preferring FSW, I would like to share something that happened in February, 2020:

I am studying in an MBA program in the US and IRCC held a session for the graduating class about the express entry program, how we can apply, and how we will be eligible for high CRS scores with a decent IELTS score. They stopped short of saying we will all receive ITAs. I am sure other programs had similar sessions. I doubt they will go from advertising the FSW stream so extensively to completely shutting it down.

So I really think we don't have to worry about general draws not happening. I feel IRCC is just waiting for health centers to have some capacity to perform medical tests and other agencies to start processing documents. My guess is general draws will start in August.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
To all the people out there worried about IRCC not preferring FSW, I would like to share something that happened in February, 2020:

I am studying in an MBA program in the US and IRCC held a session for the graduating class about the express entry program, how we can apply, and how we will be eligible for high CRS scores with a decent IELTS score. They stopped short of saying we will all receive ITAs. I am sure other programs had similar sessions. I doubt they will go from advertising the FSW stream so extensively to completely shutting it down.

So I really think we don't have to worry about general draws not happening. I feel IRCC is just waiting for health centers to have some capacity to perform medical tests and other agencies to start processing documents. My guess is general draws will start in August.
Well, I mean between Feb 2020 and now, some small events have occurred you know... like a worldwide pandemic with no end in sight. A small factor I would say..

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Well, I mean between Feb 2020 and now, some small events have occurred you know... like a worldwide pandemic with no end in sight. A small factor I would say..
True.. but definitely not enough to stop the influx of FSW candidates with high income potential, which was the whole point of the adding the stream.

Disclaimer: I do not believe FSW applicants are greater than or lesser than any other form of applicant. Please don't make this a FSW vs CEC tangent

vicky0143

Feb 26, 2020
United States
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-12-2019
Nomination.....
21-05-2020
AOR Received.
27-06-2020
Med's Done....
11-08-2020
If the travel restrictions and lockdown are the reasons to stop FSW draws, then why are PNP draws and nominations still continuing? I got nominated last month even though I am in a foreign country. NOC-2175

Last edited:

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
If the travel restrictions and lockdown are the reasons to stop FSW draws, then why are PNP draws and nominations still continuing? I got nominated even though I am in a foreign country.
Most PNPs are labor needs based - FSW was not need based. There may not be an immediate need for bankers or management consultants, however it definitely doesn't hurt to have them since they usually earn high salaries and pay more taxes

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
If the travel restrictions and lockdown are the reasons to stop FSW draws, then why are PNP draws and nominations still continuing? I got nominated last month even though I am in a foreign country.
Also, if you got PNP and are in a foreign country, you are not a majority. Many PNPs require to hold employment in that province.

However, majority of FSW are not in the country. Therefore, makes more sense to continue PNP and CEC since they already there. Once travel restrictions ease up and health care strain reduces, general draws will begin.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
In the US
Yeah, I had a feeling. You'll be in for a shock when you realize how much smaller Canada's job market is compared to the US. I also studied and worked in the US where you'd get 20-30 people applying for a job. Here in Canada, that number is 200-300 and that's on LinkedIn alone. Trust me, not many if any immigrants are getting Management Consulting jobs when they get here

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Yeah, I had a feeling. You'll be in for a shock when you realize how much smaller Canada's job market is compared to the US. I also studied and worked in the US where you'd get 20-30 people applying for a job. Here in Canada, that number is 200-300 and that's on LinkedIn alone. Trust me, not many if any immigrants are getting Management Consulting jobs when they get here
False - 30 people from my class alone got management consulting jobs (with 5 firms) across Canada. All these individuals are considered immigrants. Additionally, I personally know 5 people who took inter-firm transfers because they did not get their visas this year.

Also, not sure where you are getting these numbers from - when I was on the recruiting team at my previous firm, I saw an average of 150 to 200 applicants for each published position. We interviewed roughly 10%. This was when unemployment was low. Rotman MBA, considered top MBA in Canada by many rankings, has very few alums in top firms. However, these firms have much higher requirements, how are they getting filled then?

Immigrants come with a variety of qualifications - I am sure a good percentage of them get management consulting jobs.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
False - 30 people from my class alone got management consulting jobs (with 5 firms) across Canada. All these individuals are considered immigrants. Additionally, I personally know 5 people who took inter-firm transfers because they did not get their visas this year.

Also, not sure where you are getting these numbers from - when I was on the recruiting team at my previous firm, I saw an average of 150 to 200 applicants for each published position. We interviewed roughly 10%. This was when unemployment was low. Rotman MBA, considered top MBA in Canada by many rankings, has very few alums in top firms. However, these firms have much higher requirements, how are they getting filled then?

Immigrants come with a variety of qualifications - I am sure a good percentage of them get management consulting jobs.
So let me guess, you go a Top 20 school

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
They are the exception to the trend. Because, big consulting companies prefer graduates from Top US Business Schools but only up to a certain ranking

canadaimmigrant173

Dec 27, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
They are the exception to the trend. Because, big consulting companies prefer graduates from Top US Business Schools but only up to a certain ranking
Agreed.

Extrapolating that line of thought, if IRCC is reaching out to these programs to apply for express entry, it is highly unlikely that they will block out FSW completely - it is a temporary pause until travel restrictions and healthcare strain eases up.

IRCC, just like you and me, are also aware that big consulting firms (that pay a lot of money as salaries) prefer Top US Business Schools, and the only way for these Top US Business School students to come to Canada (after taking a pay cut) is to come via the FSW stream.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Of course, what you said above is correct. But, you are talking about a select group of highly skilled individuals that would be in demand in most countries. What I said earlier is in reference to the vast majority