May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi,

We will be sponsoring my spouse (Japan) for common law. I’m not worried about proof of relationship but we have few documents with actual address.
I’m wondering if I should go get some more evidence and delay our application a few months if I should have enough by now. I could apply in Jan 2017, or gather more in the next week and apply May 2017. But that means less income because she cannot work.

So far we have collected:

• Proof of relationship :
    • Joint bank account
    • Notarized letters
    • Photos, Facebook, SMS, Plane tickets, …
    • Electricity account (her name doesn’t appear on the bill, but I have she has full authorization in he account (I have a letter from Hydro)
    • Will do next year income taxes together
  • Proof of residence (starting Jan 2016)
    • T4
    • Notarized letters say we move together on Jan 2016
    • Pay stub with address from 2 different employer
  • Proof of residence (starting April 2016)
    • Credit card (not joined) with same address
    • Cell phone (not joined) with same address

Regards,

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Is she your spouse (as in, officially married) or your common law partner?

If she is your common law partner, you can apply in Jan 2017. Are you renting? A notarized letter from the landlord will be essential. The relationship proofs sound sufficient.

Also, I hope you are not applying Inland.

Good luck!

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
Ski_is_fun said:
Hi,

We will be sponsoring my spouse (Japan) for common law. I’m not worried about proof of relationship but we have few documents with actual address.
I’m wondering if I should go get some more evidence and delay our application a few months if I should have enough by now. I could apply in Jan 2017, or gather more in the next week and apply May 2017. But that means less income because she cannot work.

So far we have collected:

• Proof of relationship :
    • Joint bank account
    • Notarized letters
    • Photos, Facebook, SMS, Plane tickets, ...
    • Electricity account (her name doesn’t appear on the bill, but I have she has full authorization in he account (I have a letter from Hydro)
    • Will do next year income taxes together
  • Proof of residence (starting Jan 2016)
    • T4
    • Notarized letters say we move together on Jan 2016
    • Pay stub with address from 2 different employer
  • Proof of residence (starting April 2016)
    • Credit card (not joined) with same address
    • Cell phone (not joined) with same address

Regards,

Your proofs look good, but you should join the phones and the credit cards imo. Also getting some more docs with the address won't hurt. If you have something proving you started living together Jan 2016, then just keep saving mail etc to compliment that proof from now until you apply. Also, as mentioned above, you really shouldn't apply inland.

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Yes common law not married, and outland.

we really have nothing more for Jan to april. So that's either we risk going with what we have or quickly getting more things now and reset the counter with more. Would it be overkill, that is the question. But we initially planned vacation in Japan in March 2017 and that she would stay tehre. If we apply in may that would mean she comes back here with me for two months before she go back to Japan (to work a few months) in may 2017.

Also... if we apply in Jan and she continues to live with me, if CIC request more documents, does the supplemental months accrued between the first time of application and counts? I don't know if anyone has experienced with this.

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
I believe one of the key items for common law is a notarized letter from the landlord (lease agreement would be even better) with both your names on it. If you can get that, I think Jan 17 is fine.

I think I've heard that CIC looks at the year (or longer) of cohabitation when they assess your application - this is why couples cannot apply before they cohabit for 12 months, even if by the time the Visa Office gets the application, it will be 12 months. Also, this is why common law couples CAN apply even if they do not cohabit after they have completed their 12 months of cohabitation. (As long as they are still in a valid relationship.) So I think if you apply in Jan 17, CIC will focus (mainly) on proof between Jan 16 and Jan 17. You Could send more proof of what happened after Jan 17, but I'm not sure they would take that into account.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The visa officer must see proof of 12 months of continuous cohabitation when he or she gets the application. So you cannot send it in before the 12 months and use the time afterwards as part of the cohabitation proof.

Does the hydro bill showing she has authorization on the account have a date? If this letter states she has had authorization since January 2016 you can use it as part of the proof of cohabitation.

It would be best to get an affidavit from the landlord that you two moved in together in January 2016. Letters from you two stating this will have less weight. It is even better to have her name on the lease or mortgage.

Joint credit cards and bank accounts are good. If you have the statements since January, they can also be used as proof of the 1 year of cohabitation. Bills and other letters that have the same address, even if sent to just one of you, can also be used if you have some from the beginning. I see your credit card and cell phone statements start in April.
I don't think you have enough for January, unless you can get the landlord to write you something.

Ski_is_fun

May 5, 2016
AOR Received.
03-05-2017
Med's Request
16-11-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
No landlord because I'm the owner... And we weren't together last time I renew my mortgage. Seems I would need to wait the few months to be safe.

Let's get more votes in!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would wait. It is only a couple of months more.
Official letters will have the date inside on the letter. Unofficial letters, such as from friends, may have the date, but the visa officer won't believe it, so for this type of mail keep the envelopes showing when it was mailed as well as the letter.