+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quitting job while waiting for new permit/PR ?

John975

Nov 3, 2022
My girlfriend of 5 years is sponsoring me, we both live together IN Canada but she is changing job location.

I am currently on a “closed” work permit through my employer but it is 1h40min away from our new home.

I need to know if I can quit my job while I wait for an open work permit under the spousal sponsorship. Already done medical exam and got the AOR… thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My girlfriend of 5 years is sponsoring me, we both live together IN Canada but she is changing job location.

I am currently on a “closed” work permit through my employer but it is 1h40min away from our new home.

I need to know if I can quit my job while I wait for an open work permit under the spousal sponsorship. Already done medical exam and got the AOR… thanks
Did you submit the OWP after receiving AOR? Either way, you are not obligated to continue working while awaiting your PR.

Oh...and you should no longer refer to your common-law partner as your `girlfriend'. ;)

John975

Nov 3, 2022
Did you submit the OWP after receiving AOR? Either way, you are not obligated to continue working while awaiting your PR.

Oh...and you should no longer refer to your common-law partner as your `girlfriend'. ;)
I submitted the Open work permit maybe a week after the AOR, I missed it in my e-mails!
And thanks for the reminder haha !

John975

Nov 3, 2022
I would also like to ask a 2 more things,

Is it going to affect any of the 2 applications if I quit my job ? Going from “closed” work permit to OWP/PR ?

Lastly, I received my medical instructions, done that.
And received a biometrics fee reminder, payed it and sent it over, but never received anything else it’s been more than a week now.
But my IRCC account says “we do not need your biometrics at the moments”.
Im confused, might have payed for nothing.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would also like to ask a 2 more things,

Is it going to affect any of the 2 applications if I quit my job ? Going from “closed” work permit to OWP/PR ?

Lastly, I received my medical instructions, done that.
And received a biometrics fee reminder, payed it and sent it over, but never received anything else it’s been more than a week now.
But my IRCC account says “we do not need your biometrics at the moments”.
Im confused, might have payed for nothing.
You might try to call IRCC, but it's often times difficult to actually speak to a human.