+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quick question on common law spousal visas

DannyRDG

Apr 19, 2013
I have searched high and low for answer, maybe im blind but I just cant find an answer. I am currently in the process of extending my visitor visa. I am hoping I will be successful in that (im a British citizen). Once I have the extension and have been living with my partner for 1 year, the aim then is to apply for common law spousal.

Now here is my question. If I am successful in getting common law spousal visa, can I then apply for a SIN number and start looking for work? How long does a SIN number take to be issued?

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to replies!

Danny

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Yes, if you get a common law visa you can get a SIN and then go to work.

You will have to have a full year of living together as a couple, so be sure keep up with everything from leases to common credit cards/bank accounts and all of that good stuff that couple who share a household usually have. You'll need to provide all that information.

I am not positive, but I think if you apply inland (meaning inside canada while you stay here) you can file for an OWP at same time and when your sponsor is approved, in roughly 6-9 months, you will then have a temp SIN and an open working permit so you could work then. Until that time though, you are stuck like the rest of us waiting and unable to work.

I am by far not an expert in this stuff, so if anyone has any information that contradicts me or can enhance me, feel free! :D

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can still work if you have submitted your In-Land PR application and a Open Work Permit at the same time.

It depends on what work permit you currently have however since your application has been sent off currently and they have it you are on Implied Status and you can continue to work while you wait for your Work Permit to arrive. Its by LAW that you can still continue to work until they have made a decision.

Many people have still continued to work while they wait for the OWP to arrive, so its what I am going to do as well. There's no way I can just stop working during this process, how else am I going to live.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Jamesdavid3 said:
You can still work if you have submitted your In-Land PR application and a Open Work Permit at the same time.

It depends on what work permit you currently have however since your application has been sent off currently and they have it you are on Implied Status and you can continue to work while you wait for your Work Permit to arrive. Its by LAW that you can still continue to work until they have made a decision.

Many people have still continued to work while they wait for the OWP to arrive, so its what I am going to do as well. There's no way I can just stop working during this process, how else am I going to live.
He said he was here on a visitor visa, not a work visa which means he can NOT work, nor can the rest of us that are here without a work permit.

Jamesdavid3

May 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh I see, that's a shame you couldn't apply at the same time as you were working here so you could at least work here while you're waiting for you application.

DannyRDG

Apr 19, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. I am quite lucky, in that I have a military pension to live on and help with various bills around the house. Its just killing me that I cant work! Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait out until I apply for my Spousal visa! Thank you once again.