+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions regarding what's considered 'living in a country' by IRCC

Dec 16, 2016
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me clarify the 'lived in that country' in regards to the police certificate.

Here's a snippet from IRCC's webpage on police certificates

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:

are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

I have been renting in Canada for the past couple of years, have a job here on a PGWP, have a Canadian driver's license, and have bank accounts here with my Canadian address. However, I also still have my US bank accounts with a US address (my parents' address). I also still have to file US income taxes.

I can't find an official definition from IRCC on what is considered 'living in a country.' Does having foreign bank accounts with addresses from my previous country mean I am still a resident there? If so I need to get a more recent police report or make sure I send in my application within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your time.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
canadian_hopeful said:
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can help me clarify the 'lived in that country' in regards to the police certificate.

Here's a snippet from IRCC's webpage on police certificates

If you need a police certificate from a country or territory and:

are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
have lived there in the past, the police certificate must be issued after you last lived in that country or territory.

I have been renting in Canada for the past couple of years, have a job here on a PGWP, have a Canadian driver's license, and have bank accounts here with my Canadian address. However, I also still have my US bank accounts with a US address (my parents' address). I also still have to file US income taxes.

I can't find an official definition from IRCC on what is considered 'living in a country.' Does having foreign bank accounts with addresses from my previous country mean I am still a resident there? If so I need to get a more recent police report or make sure I send in my application within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your time.
Have you been within its borders for more than 6 months.

Visiting for a few weeks repeatedly on vacation over several years, if it adds up to 6 months you are classed as having lived there and have to get a police check.

For instance, I live in the UK (citizen) however lived for a year in NZ, so need a police check there. I lived in the US for 3 months and have visited for about 14 days since. I will not need a police check from there as I wasn't there fore more than 6 months, even though I lived there.

Dec 16, 2016
Oops sorry I should clarify I do have a police report from the US, but it is dated August 15, 2016. If I submit my application after January 15, 2016 then my police certificate would be over 6 months old. Which is why I'm wondering if I need to get a new one.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadian_hopeful said:
Oops sorry I should clarify I do have a police report from the US, but it is dated August 15, 2016. If I submit my application after January 15, 2016 then my police certificate would be over 6 months old. Which is why I'm wondering if I need to get a new one.
If you've never been in the US after 15th Aug 2016, you may use the same report. The 6 months rule applies to the country you currently live in.