+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions RE: Study Permit & Spousal Sponsorship

May 31, 2018
Hello,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere on this forum. It looks like there are a lot of helpful people here so hopefully I can get some clarity.

Long story short, I met a girl from Morocco about a year ago and we are thinking about getting married. I reside in Alberta and she is residing in Quebec, planning to move back to Alberta at some point before we get married. She is currently on a Visitor Visa (recently applied for an extension) while also waiting on approval for a Study Permit as she was enrolled in a few courses. She is wanting to drop these courses and move to Alberta.

1) If she drops out of these courses before or during, will she be deported or face any type of negative consequence?

2) Would it be recommended she withdraw/cancel the Study Permit application and maintain Visitor status for the time being?

3) At what point before or during the Spousal Sponsorship process is best for her to apply for a Work Permit? I understand that during the Spousal Sponsorship she can apply for an Open Work Permit? If I'm understanding the process properly, an Open Work Permit is the best option but she cannot apply for this until after we have submitted the Spousal Sponsorship papers, right!?

Thank you in advance! :)

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
Hello,

This is my first post so please forgive me if I'm asking questions that have already been answered elsewhere on this forum. It looks like there are a lot of helpful people here so hopefully I can get some clarity.

Long story short, I met a girl from Morocco about a year ago and we are thinking about getting married. I reside in Alberta and she is residing in Quebec, planning to move back to Alberta at some point before we get married. She is currently on a Visitor Visa (recently applied for an extension) while also waiting on approval for a Study Permit as she was enrolled in a few courses. She is wanting to drop these courses and move to Alberta.

1) If she drops out of these courses before or during, will she be deported or face any type of negative consequence?

2) Would it be recommended she withdraw/cancel the Study Permit application and maintain Visitor status for the time being?

3) At what point before or during the Spousal Sponsorship process is best for her to apply for a Work Permit? I understand that during the Spousal Sponsorship she can apply for an Open Work Permit? If I'm understanding the process properly, an Open Work Permit is the best option but she cannot apply for this until after we have submitted the Spousal Sponsorship papers, right!?

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how she can be deported or face a consequence for dropping out of the courses if she has a valid Visitor Visa and she plans to withdraw the Study Permit application. That being said, if she drops the courses but then continues with the Study Permit Application without intending to study that's a different story.
As per your Open Work Permit question, you can send in the application for OWP with your spousal application and it should hopefully be completed in 3-4 months.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hello,

You can't have more than one type of immigration status, so if she is issued the study permit, it would override her visitor record and she would be required to follow the terms of her study permit in order to legally stay in Canada. So if she is not planning to enroll in any courses, it's very important that she withdraw the application for the study permit ASAP.

The open work permit application can be submitted alongside (at the same time, in the same envelope) with the PR application.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I would suggest having a look over the spousal sponsorship checklist now to see what you can and can't supply as it stands at the moment.

You will obviously have to wait until you marry to apply but looking it over now will let you see what evidence/required docs you need to make a point of obtaining over the next few months.. Get as much of a head start on the process as possible.

May 31, 2018
Thanks for the responses guys, very helpful.

So it's looks like she should withdraw the Study Permit application and maintain her Visitor status for the time being.

Since we plan to get married, there is no sense for her to apply for a Work Permit before then? It looks like the OWP allows for more freedom while job searching.

You can't have more than one type of immigration status, so if she is issued the study permit, it would override her visitor record and she would be required to follow the terms of her study permit in order to legally stay in Canada.
Do you know what we should do if she receives approval for the Study Permit before withdrawing it? How can she then terminate it and return to Visitor status?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited: