+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about spousal PR sponsorship- UK citizen in Canada on visitor visa

khanf

Nov 11, 2020
Hi guys! Thanks in advance for reading this and offering any advice! I have a few questions about the spousal PR application. I'm a British national who's been living in California on a work visa since 2016. In Aug of this year, I got married to a Canadian national (filed for a marriage certificate in California). In September, we both decided to come to Canada so my husband could see family, and I was granted a visitor visa, since I'm his spouse. We've just started our inland PR application.

* Do we need to file for a marriage certificate in Canada as well, or is the California one valid for the PR application?
* Do I need to show that my residency is the one in California (where I was living up until September), or where I am currently living in Canada?
* Does my family need to submit police certificates as well?
* Since I was living in California since 2016, do I also need to request a police certificate from the USA, or just the UK? (I'm a British national)
* Does my family have to fill out a medical form as well, even if they are not being sponsored?
* The marriage certificate shows that I took my husband's last name, though I haven't changed my last name on my passport yet. Do I need to apply under my maiden name or my husband's last name?
* Do I need to update my passport to reflect the new last name before applying for the PR?
* On the family form of the PR, do I need to fill out second cousins and second aunts etc on form IMM5532e, which asks for details of family members currently residing in Canada? I have a large extended family here, so can provide details of first cousins/ aunts and uncles, but any other extended family might be a stretch!

Thank you so much for your help!