+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Questions about 2018 lottery.....

Retusa

Feb 5, 2014
Hello,
I applied for the lottery in 2017 (didn't get picked) and I applied in 2018 and so far with the March 19th draw, no luck. In terms of qualification, I have the minimum income requirements and I filled in the lottery application few days after it opened. Questions:
1. Does anyone know when the next draw is in 2018?
2. Am I not getting picked because I am not a citizen? I will be a citizen by the end of this year, will that increase my chances for the 2019 draw?
3. I am going to talk to the MP of my community next week, is there anything I can say/do when I meet with him?
4. I don't want to do supervisa (at least not right now). What else can I do at this point?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. We do not know if there will be a second draw or not.
2. No - being a citizen won't increase your chances. It's a random draw. Your chances are the same regardless if you are a PR or citizen.
3. No - your MP cannot help in any way to get you selected. Again, the draw is random.
4. Your parents can try to qualify to immigrate independently through an economic immigration stream like Express entry.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello,
I applied for the lottery in 2017 (didn't get picked) and I applied in 2018 and so far with the March 19th draw, no luck. In terms of qualification, I have the minimum income requirements and I filled in the lottery application few days after it opened. Questions:
2. Am I not getting picked because I am not a citizen? I will be a citizen by the end of this year, will that increase my chances for the 2019 draw?
3. I am going to talk to the MP of my community next week, is there anything I can say/do when I meet with him?
4. I don't want to do supervisa (at least not right now). What else can I do at this point?
1 - Since they picked 5000 extra apps already, it's doubtful there will be a 2nd draw this year
2 - It's completely random
3 - No, MP can't do anything
4 - They can apply for regular TRV

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,
1) CIC will know. But they will only tell us if there is a secondary draw. Other than that it is anyone's guess.
2) Citizenship plays no part. I am a citizen and have not been selected in all 3 draws. The selection process is entirely random. The lottery will even pick people who are ineligible to apply.
3) Is your MP Liberal, Conservative, NDP Green Party? You can share your concerns with him or her. However the current lottery system is well accepted and approved by the majority of Canadians is likely here to stay for the long term.
4) All you can do is to keep taking part in the lotteries and hope you get selected. I am doing that.

Retusa

Feb 5, 2014
1) CIC will know. But they will only tell us if there is a secondary draw. Other than that it is anyone's guess.
2) Citizenship plays no part. I am a citizen and have not been selected in all 3 draws. The selection process is entirely random. The lottery will even pick people who are ineligible to apply.
3) Is your MP Liberal, Conservative, NDP Green Party? You can share your concerns with him or her. However the current lottery system is well accepted and approved by the majority of Canadians is likely here to stay for the long term.
4) All you can do is to keep taking part in the lotteries and hope you get selected. I am doing that.

The MP for my community is conservative, that certainly doesn't help. I have to do what's in my control though. Any words of encouragement/specific things I could say that would help my case or for people like you & me?

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017
The MP for my community is conservative, that certainly doesn't help. I have to do what's in my control though. Any words of encouragement/specific things I could say that would help my case or for people like you & me?
Good luck!

Retusa

Feb 5, 2014
1 - Since they picked 5000 extra apps already, it's doubtful there will be a 2nd draw this year
2 - It's completely random
3 - No, MP can't do anything
4 - They can apply for regular TRV
Hi - where did you find out that 5K more applications were selected?