+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question Regarding Sponsor Eligibility Assessment (IMM 1344)

Eelhsa

Star Member
Feb 14, 2018
Ohio, United States of America
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
NOC Code......
N/A
App. Filed.......
03/07/2018
Doc's Request.
31/10/2018
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
05/11/2018
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
15/03/2019
Med's Request
08/03/2019
Med's Done....
26/03/2019
I have a couple of questions regarding the Sponsor Eligibility Assessment” section on the “Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking” Form (IMM 1344)

This section of the form states: “If you answer ‘No’ to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application.”

I am a Canadian citizen who has lived outside of Canada for the past 3 years (as a Permanent Resident of the U.S.) It is my understanding that as a Canadian citizen, I can sponsor my American husband for permanent residency in Canada, even though I do not currently reside in Canada (as long as I provide evidence to show I will live in Canada once my husband is granted PR status).
The section of concern on form IMM 1344 makes this sound uncertain, however.

First of all, I am seeking greater clarification on what is meant by this question (question 3):

“Are you sponsoring a member of the family class or a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class?”

According to the specifications, my answer to this question must be “yes” in order to be eligible as a Sponsor, however, if my husband resides outside of Canada (in the U.S.) then that is not considered to be an “in Canada” class sponsorship. Perhaps I am not clearly understanding the question, and I would appreciate any clarification and help with this.

My second concern is in regard to question 4 which also must be answered “yes” according to specifications:

“Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?” Under this question it does say “If you answered “NO”, but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor.” My concern is that this seems quite uncertain and it was my understanding that since I am a Canadian citizen, I am able to sponsor my husband even though I do not currently live in Canada.

Based on two of these four questions, it seems I may not be eligible to be a sponsor after all (unless I move back to Canada first)

Any help with these concerns would be greatly appreciated.

sp121212

Apr 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
May 24, 2017
Doc's Request.
July 21, 2017
AOR Received.
June 28, 2017
File Transfer...
Aug 2, 2017
Med's Request
June 30, 2017
Med's Done....
July 10, 2017
Passport Req..
28-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-04-2018
I have a couple of questions regarding the Sponsor Eligibility Assessment” section on the “Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking” Form (IMM 1344)

This section of the form states: “If you answer ‘No’ to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application.”

I am a Canadian citizen who has lived outside of Canada for the past 3 years (as a Permanent Resident of the U.S.) It is my understanding that as a Canadian citizen, I can sponsor my American husband for permanent residency in Canada, even though I do not currently reside in Canada (as long as I provide evidence to show I will live in Canada once my husband is granted PR status).
The section of concern on form IMM 1344 makes this sound uncertain, however.

First of all, I am seeking greater clarification on what is meant by this question (question 3):

“Are you sponsoring a member of the family class or a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class?”

According to the specifications, my answer to this question must be “yes” in order to be eligible as a Sponsor, however, if my husband resides outside of Canada (in the U.S.) then that is not considered to be an “in Canada” class sponsorship. Perhaps I am not clearly understanding the question, and I would appreciate any clarification and help with this.

My second concern is in regard to question 4 which also must be answered “yes” according to specifications:

“Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?” Under this question it does say “If you answered “NO”, but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor.” My concern is that this seems quite uncertain and it was my understanding that since I am a Canadian citizen, I am able to sponsor my husband even though I do not currently live in Canada.

Based on two of these four questions, it seems I may not be eligible to be a sponsor after all (unless I move back to Canada first)

Any help with these concerns would be greatly appreciated.
you can sponsor your husband even if you are living outside canada during the sponsorship process if you are a canadian citizen. You would just need to have good evidence that you will go back to canada once sponsorship is given to hubby or before that (property in canada, canadian bills, tuition, employment- anything as such).
Question 3: He is a member of the family class (emphasize on the word OR- its either family class OR in canada class) so because it is one of the two you would answer YES here
Question 4: it is not uncertain. it clearly states that if you are a citizen living outside of canada you may still be able to sponsor meaning canadian PR's or other canadian visa status holders cannot be living outside canada and sponsor their spouse. Just provide good evidence that you will come back!
Good luck!

Eelhsa

Star Member
Feb 14, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
N/A
App. Filed.......
03/07/2018
Doc's Request.
31/10/2018
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
05/11/2018
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
15/03/2019
Med's Request
08/03/2019
Med's Done....
26/03/2019
you can sponsor your husband even if you are living outside canada during the sponsorship process if you are a canadian citizen. You would just need to have good evidence that you will go back to canada once sponsorship is given to hubby or before that (property in canada, canadian bills, tuition, employment- anything as such).
Question 3: He is a member of the family class (emphasize on the word OR- its either family class OR in canada class) so because it is one of the two you would answer YES here
Question 4: it is not uncertain. it clearly states that if you are a citizen living outside of canada you may still be able to sponsor meaning canadian PR's or other canadian visa status holders cannot be living outside canada and sponsor their spouse. Just provide good evidence that you will come back!
Good luck!
Thank you for your help. :)

I suppose that my confusion with this section of the form stems mainly from the very decisive statement “if you answer ‘no’ to any questions from 1 to 4, you are NOT eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application. Since my answer to question 4 is “no”, that obviously worries me.

Also, as I do not own any property in Canada, Canadian bills or tuition and I may have difficulty getting employment before I move back (not knowing an actual day I can start work) are letters from family and friends enough evidence to show intent to move back to Canada? I’m really not sure what other evidence I can provide at this point.

Thanks again!

sp121212

Apr 20, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
May 24, 2017
Doc's Request.
July 21, 2017
AOR Received.
June 28, 2017
File Transfer...
Aug 2, 2017
Med's Request
June 30, 2017
Med's Done....
July 10, 2017
Passport Req..
28-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
06-04-2018
Thank you for your help. :)

I suppose that my confusion with this section of the form stems mainly from the very decisive statement “if you answer ‘no’ to any questions from 1 to 4, you are NOT eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application. Since my answer to question 4 is “no”, that obviously worries me.

Also, as I do not own any property in Canada, Canadian bills or tuition and I may have difficulty getting employment before I move back (not knowing an actual day I can start work) are letters from family and friends enough evidence to show intent to move back to Canada? I’m really not sure what other evidence I can provide at this point.

Thanks again!
i am 100% sure you can sponsor as a canadian citizen living outside of canada. BUT if you do not have any evidence, and your only source of evidences are letters- then I am not sure if that is enough! It should be clear to them that you will go back to canada- maybe someone who has gone through the same could help you out. I have not heard of just letters from family and friends being enough though.

Eelhsa

Star Member
Feb 14, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
N/A
App. Filed.......
03/07/2018
Doc's Request.
31/10/2018
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
05/11/2018
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
15/03/2019
Med's Request
08/03/2019
Med's Done....
26/03/2019
i am 100% sure you can sponsor as a canadian citizen living outside of canada. BUT if you do not have any evidence, and your only source of evidences are letters- then I am not sure if that is enough! It should be clear to them that you will go back to canada- maybe someone who has gone through the same could help you out. I have not heard of just letters from family and friends being enough though.
Alright. I’m not sure what else they can expect from someone who has been living outside of Canada for 3 years. I know that not everyone is able/can afford to own property or have such substantial ties to Canada when they live in another country. It does seem more and more likely that I will need to move back to Canada and apply to sponsor my husband from there.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Alright. I’m not sure what else they can expect from someone who has been living outside of Canada for 3 years. I know that not everyone is able/can afford to own property or have such substantial ties to Canada when they live in another country. It does seem more and more likely that I will need to move back to Canada and apply to sponsor my husband from there.
Nah, you don't have to. My wife hadn't set a foot in Canada since 2006, and she had been approved as sponsor, and our case had been approved in about 4 and half months.

You need to prepare a resume like resettlement plan, it doesn't need to be a concrete firmed plan though. What my wife did was she booked a very short trip back to Canada to open up a bank account and deposited a small amount of money there, contacted several real estate agents to show her some rental properties (you don't have to go back to Canada to do that, you can simply just contact them online and use the email communications as part of your proofs), then my wife visited couple schools for our daughter (you can do it online as well). We also inquired moving cost from moving company, plus the emails from her friends to bless our plan to move back to Canada. That were all we have, a resettlement plan attached with all email communications from moving company, real estate agents, potential schools for my daughter, emails from her friends, and plus my wife's recent traveling back to Canada record that had been with CBSA (CIC would find it by themselves), she had no problem to be approved as a sponsor.

Eelhsa

Star Member
Feb 14, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
N/A
App. Filed.......
03/07/2018
Doc's Request.
31/10/2018
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
05/11/2018
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
15/03/2019
Med's Request
08/03/2019
Med's Done....
26/03/2019
Nah, you don't have to. My wife hadn't set a foot in Canada since 2006, and she had been approved as sponsor, and our case had been approved in about 4 and half months.

You need to prepare a resume like resettlement plan, it doesn't need to be a concrete firmed plan though. What my wife did was she booked a very short trip back to Canada to open up a bank account and deposited a small amount of money there, contacted several real estate agents to show her some rental properties (you don't have to go back to Canada to do that, you can simply just contact them online and use the email communications as part of your proofs), then my wife visited couple schools for our daughter (you can do it online as well). We also inquired moving cost from moving company, plus the emails from her friends to bless our plan to move back to Canada. That were all we have, a resettlement plan attached with all email communications from moving company, real estate agents, potential schools for my daughter, emails from her friends, and plus my wife's recent traveling back to Canada record that had been with CBSA (CIC would find it by themselves), she had no problem to be approved as a sponsor.
Thank you so much for your help and your suggestions Miraclejj. :) Those are great ideas. I do have a bank account in Canada, and although we will be staying with my parents until we get on our feet and sort things out, we can definitely be looking at rentals in the area.

Thanks again! I’m very glad it all worked out for you and your wife.

Ronnie.Ratra

May 13, 2019
Good Evening everyone, I wanted to thank in advance for your help.

I have a questions regarding the "Sponsor Eligibility Assessment” section on the “Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking” Form (IMM 1344).
- This section of the form states: “If you answer ‘No’ to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application.”
Question 4: “Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?” Under this question it does say “If you answered “NO”, but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor.”

MY QUESTION
I am a Canadian citizen; and I work and reside in United States (on a temp basis- TN Visa).
I have been in Canada since a decade (completed eduction, etc) and live with my parents. And file my CANADIAN TAXES to the CRA every single year (from the income I earn in the US)

I am planning to sponsor my grandmother to CANADA.

I wanted to confirm / clarify; if I am able to sponsor her ?

And if I can sponsor her; are there any evidence / documents I need to attach along the package that I plan to send ?

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.
Waiting in anticipation.

Ronnie

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Evening everyone, I wanted to thank in advance for your help.

I have a questions regarding the "Sponsor Eligibility Assessment” section on the “Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking” Form (IMM 1344).
- This section of the form states: “If you answer ‘No’ to any questions from 1 to 4, you are not eligible to be a sponsor. You should NOT submit your application.”
Question 4: “Do you reside in Canada and in no other country?” Under this question it does say “If you answered “NO”, but are a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada, you may still be eligible to be a sponsor.”

MY QUESTION
I am a Canadian citizen; and I work and reside in United States (on a temp basis- TN Visa).
I have been in Canada since a decade (completed eduction, etc) and live with my parents.

I am planning to sponsor my grandmother to CANADA.

I wanted to confirm / clarify; if I am able to sponsor her ?

And if I can sponsor her; are there any evidence / documents I need to attach along the package that I plan to send ?

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.
Waiting in anticipation.

Ronnie
No - you cannot sponsor your grandmother. You must be living in Canada in order to sponsor her and also must be making income from Canadian sources.

Reactions: k.h.p.

Ronnie.Ratra

May 13, 2019
No - you cannot sponsor your grandmother. You must be living in Canada in order to sponsor her and also must be making income from Canadian sources.
Scylla, however I file my CANADIAN TAXES to the CRA every single year (from the income I earn in the US)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Scylla, however I file my CANADIAN TAXES to the CRA every single year (from the income I earn in the US)
But you're not living in Canada.

You have to sponsor your grandmother through the Parents and Grandparents program, not the family class program. Your grandmother is not a member of your family according to the definition of family. The PGP is a lottery system where you win a chance to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
In that case you probably meet the income requirements - but you still don't meet the residency requirement. It's a no-go. You have to be physically living here.

Ronnie.Ratra

May 13, 2019
hello KHP..

You are right --- I am sponsoring her through the Parents and Grandparents Program Invitation only.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited me to submit a complete application to sponsor your parents and grandparents as part of the 2019 Parents andGrandparents Program.

simarkochar

Dec 14, 2013
HI everyone,
I am sponsoring my husband who is in India. I am resident in canada..I would like to know how much time does it take to get file number. Our paperwork was received by immigration office on May 2 as it was sent to Nova scotia.. Secondly, is it still taking a year to get approval??? Thirdly after we sent our application, now husband's company is sending him to UK on work visa.. so can his medical and biometrics be done there? As we have already sent our application to visa office.. so when should we notify change in address and do we need to write LOE? I m so much stressed out !!!Plz help ... TIA

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
hello KHP..

You are right --- I am sponsoring her through the Parents and Grandparents Program Invitation only.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) invited me to submit a complete application to sponsor your parents and grandparents as part of the 2019 Parents andGrandparents Program.
Then review the eligibility requirements. A clear bullet point is "live in Canada" https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html#apply-sponsor