+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question regarding baby born in USA

RakeshGupta

May 15, 2018
Hello,

I am in USA on H1 and my wife on H4 and we are planning to apply for PR under express entry. My daughter was born last year in USA. I want to know if she maintain her US citizenship or if we get Canadian citizenship in future will she also get Canadian citizenship?

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Ok so its not required to apply for Canadian citizenship for my daughter in future?
US allows dual citizenship which means whether to apply for Canadian Citizenship at a later date or not is purely a personal choice. Not having Canadian citizenship would mean she will have to maiantain her RO which is 2 minimum of years stay within 5 yr period or she would lose her Canadian PR.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
US allows dual citizenship which means whether to apply for Canadian Citizenship at a later date or not is purely a personal choice. Not having Canadian citizenship would mean she will have to maiantain her RO which is 2 minimum of years stay within 5 yr period or she would lose her Canadian PR.
I believe it is only after she turns 18 as an adult. Pre-18, it will be dependent upon you maintaining the RO. I would get the Canadian citizenship for her as well if I were you.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I believe it is only after she turns 18 as an adult. Pre-18, it will be dependent upon you maintaining the RO. I would get the Canadian citizenship for her as well if I were you.
I think you intended to quote OP. I'm pretty familiar with Canadian laws regarding RO and I fully intend to get my daughter Canadian citizenship as and when we qualify for it. However, I think here OP is bit confused and in need of direction. :)

RakeshGupta

May 15, 2018
Ok thanks. Where can I read more about OP and RO ? Can you please provide any link or explain in details if time permits.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Ok thanks. Where can I read more about OP and RO ? Can you please provide any link or explain in details if time permits.
There is no link to read about OP, its just a terminology used on forums when referring to person starting the thread or asking question. For RO, google is your friend.

Having said that RO is pretty simple, you need to maintain physical presence in Canada for at least 2 years out of any 5 year period to be considered PR. Otherwise, you can lose your PR status if you fail to maintain Residency Obligation. There is no such constraint if you are a Citizen.

RakeshGupta

May 15, 2018
There is no link to read about OP, its just a terminology used on forums when referring to person starting the thread or asking question. For RO, google is your friend.

Having said that RO is pretty simple, you need to maintain physical presence in Canada for at least 2 years out of any 5 year period to be considered PR. Otherwise, you can lose your PR status if you fail to maintain Residency Obligation. There is no such constraint if you are a Citizen.
ok thanks a lot.