+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question re family sponsorship + PGWP ending

hybrldtheory

Jul 11, 2024
Hi all just wanted to ask everyone about me and my partner's situation to make sure we're on the right track. I am a Canadian citizen. My common-law partner is Singaporean. We live together in Toronto and she is currently on a PGWP that expires August 17, 2024. We've applied for PR through spousal sponsorship stream. We submitted it on April 30, 2024. Thus far the only communication we've received is (1) I've gotten an email from IRCC saying they've received the application and (2) my partner has received an additional request for a police certificate which she sent in mid-June.

She has not received AOR yet. In my research it seems the only way she can stay here beyond her PGWP end date of August 17, 2024 (unless she stays here as a visitor since she doesn't need a visa as a Singaporean) is if she applies for a Open Work Permit. It seems she requires her AOR to do that (which again she hasn't received). I also understand that she should still be able to apply for the Open Work Permit if she doesn't receive her AOR within 2 weeks of her receiving he AOR. As we're cutting it close with just over a month left, we did reach out to our local MP but they said it would take 2-4 weeks for a reply.

Anything else I should be doing other than wait for AOR and if that doesn't come within 2 weeks of PGWP end date we should apply for Open Work Permit regardless? I guess my other question is it seems to me that Open Work Permit seems to take about a month to process. What would happen if within 2 weeks of the PGWP ending we submit our Open Work Permit application and it still processed before the end of the PGWP?

Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all just wanted to ask everyone about me and my partner's situation to make sure we're on the right track. I am a Canadian citizen. My common-law partner is Singaporean. We live together in Toronto and she is currently on a PGWP that expires August 17, 2024. We've applied for PR through spousal sponsorship stream. We submitted it on April 30, 2024. Thus far the only communication we've received is (1) I've gotten an email from IRCC saying they've received the application
That is the AOR, I believe.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your reply. To clarify I as the sponsor received that email. My partner the principal applicant did not receive that email. That is still an AOR?
Yes, the sponsor receives the AOR. If you post the text (remove details) others can likely confirm it was the AOR.

hybrldtheory

Jul 11, 2024
Yes, the sponsor receives the AOR. If you post the text (remove details) others can likely confirm it was the AOR.
Thanks I think you're right! Glad I posted to clarify as I was under the mistaken impression the principal applicant should be receiving that. My bad.

Do you think it should be fine timing wise getting the open work permit with slightly more than a month left before her PGWP runs out?

Thanks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Do you think it should be fine timing wise getting the open work permit with slightly more than a month left before her PGWP runs out?
Not sure what you mean by 'fine' and I'm not an expert on those bits. But I don't see you have much choice save to apply now.

hybrldtheory

Jul 11, 2024
Not sure what you mean by 'fine' and I'm not an expert on those bits. But I don't see you have much choice save to apply now.
Sorry but I am bit confused now. When I go on this website: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

It says:

Principal permanent residence applicants
When you apply for your open work permit, you must also be

• in a genuine relationship with your sponsor
  • included in an application for permanent residence, and have an acknowledgement of receipt (AOR)letter confirming that your permanent residence application is being processed
    • The AOR must be for your permanent resident application. You can’t use the AOR your sponsor received when they applied to sponsor you.
  • living in Canada with your sponsor
I received the AOR as the sponsor but my partner hasn't received anything? So she can't apply yet as per the line in red above?