+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: Proper method of obtaining PR Status

br404d

May 2, 2011
Hello, I'm a Natural Born American, and I'll be attending School in Canada in September on a Study Permit. Now, I plan to arrive in Canada in June, and immediately move in with my Fiance and her family. My fiance and I will be moving out of the house to an apartment near our schools.

Basically, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not "breaking any rules" per se on the conditions of the study permit. I'll be attending school in Canada for a Bachelor's program and will take at least 2 years.

So let's say we enter the apartment in August 2011, by August 2012, can we legally apply for my PR Status under Common Law Partner, or can this be as soon as June? I know I'd most likely be eligible for the Canadian Experience Immigration option, but things just seem easier this way.

And yes, I understand I have to make it clear to immigration officers at customs that my intentions in Canada are mainly to Study, which I intend to do (22 with no degree, think that sums it up :p)

Or, for whatever reason, would immigration immediately question the situation once they realize I'm filing for PR status under a Student Permit after remaining in the Country for a year, and yes, we have documents, letters, chat/skype logs, pictures etc, to verify our relationship is indeed valid.

I'm just a bit concerned I may get denied entry at the border or for my student permit if I mention that I have a Fiance/Girlfriend in Canada, and will be staying with her. Or they may use that as an excuse for me not willing to leave Canada once my studies are complete

Long story short: Going to Canada to finish my degree on study permit, plan to live with my fiance in a private dwelling, applying for PR status as soon as available, is this legit?

Thanks for the help! :)

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
if she's your fiance, what don't you guys marry...easier than common law...

br404d

May 2, 2011
We wanted to wait until after we finish school to get married, was our goal, but it doesn't really answer my question though

regine

Apr 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For common-law you have to be living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. You could apply in June, doesn't matter if you lived with your fiancée's family for the 2 months prior to getting your own place, as long as you lived together and proved that you were there. Perhaps mail addressed to you at that address. When you both move in together, be sure that the lease and all bills are in both your names.

As for changing your status from student to sponsored partner, I’ll let someone who has experience with the switch answer that. I know there are other threads about it on here.

br404d

May 2, 2011
regine said:
For common-law you have to be living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. You could apply in June, doesn't matter if you lived with your fiancée's family for the 2 months prior to getting your own place, as long as you lived together and proved that you were there. Perhaps mail addressed to you at that address. When you both move in together, be sure that the lease and all bills are in both your names.

As for changing your status from student to sponsored partner, I'll let someone who has experience with the switch answer that. I know there are other threads about it on here.
Awesome, thank you for your insight :)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
br404d said:
Hello, I'm a Natural Born American, and I'll be attending School in Canada in September on a Study Permit. Now, I plan to arrive in Canada in June, and immediately move in with my Fiance and her family. My fiance and I will be moving out of the house to an apartment near our schools.

Basically, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not "breaking any rules" per se on the conditions of the study permit. I'll be attending school in Canada for a Bachelor's program and will take at least 2 years.

So let's say we enter the apartment in August 2011, by August 2012, can we legally apply for my PR Status under Common Law Partner, or can this be as soon as June? I know I'd most likely be eligible for the Canadian Experience Immigration option, but things just seem easier this way.

And yes, I understand I have to make it clear to immigration officers at customs that my intentions in Canada are mainly to Study, which I intend to do (22 with no degree, think that sums it up :p)

Or, for whatever reason, would immigration immediately question the situation once they realize I'm filing for PR status under a Student Permit after remaining in the Country for a year, and yes, we have documents, letters, chat/skype logs, pictures etc, to verify our relationship is indeed valid.

I'm just a bit concerned I may get denied entry at the border or for my student permit if I mention that I have a Fiance/Girlfriend in Canada, and will be staying with her. Or they may use that as an excuse for me not willing to leave Canada once my studies are complete

Long story short: Going to Canada to finish my degree on study permit, plan to live with my fiance in a private dwelling, applying for PR status as soon as available, is this legit?

Thanks for the help! :)
Everything you are doing is fine.

1. You ARE going to go to school here and you have a study permit. It doesn't matter if you are going to live with your girlfriend or not. Very doubtful the CBSA officers are even going to ask you about it.
2. You are more than a year away from being eligible to apply as common-law partners so don't worry about that for now (other than collecting and saving proof of your relationship - lease agreements, joint bills, etc.). Alot can happen in a year. So focus on studying hard and building a good relationship with your girlfriend.
3. When you get closer to the date you are eligible to be considered common-law, you and your girlfriend NEED to look closely at all of the obligations that go with it. You may or may not choose this method of immigration when you know more about it. What's easier is not always better.

br404d

May 2, 2011
rjessome said:
Everything you are doing is fine.

1. You ARE going to go to school here and you have a study permit. It doesn't matter if you are going to live with your girlfriend or not. Very doubtful the CBSA officers are even going to ask you about it.
2. You are more than a year away from being eligible to apply as common-law partners so don't worry about that for now (other than collecting and saving proof of your relationship - lease agreements, joint bills, etc.). Alot can happen in a year. So focus on studying hard and building a good relationship with your girlfriend.
3. When you get closer to the date you are eligible to be considered common-law, you and your girlfriend NEED to look closely at all of the obligations that go with it. You may or may not choose this method of immigration when you know more about it. What's easier is not always better.
Thanks for your insight/confirmation :D