+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on NOC 2174/3

USD2CAD

Feb 9, 2018
Senior members, I am creating a profile on express entry, my score is 441, so very hopeful in the upcoming draw. I am very confused on choosing correct NOC. Please, can you check and provide your feedback if my job duties are a suitable match for 2174 or 2173. I have read and compared multiple times and to me, they look to be a mix of both these NOC codes.

My Job duties per Reference letter - (employer won't update these)
1. Analyzes business requirements/processes and system integration considerations to determine appropriate technology solutions for internal and external customers. Designs, evaluates, codes, configures, tests and documents applications based on system and user requirements.
2. Using current programming language and technologies writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications. Completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
3. Develops statements of problems and requirements, designs systems and programs, and writes programs in computer language for solution by means of data processing equipment. Prepares flowcharts and systems diagrams to assist in problem analysis. Responsible for preparing design documentation.
4. Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents software according to systems standards, policies and, procedures, security and compliance requirements.
5. Prepares test data for unit, string and parallel testing.
6. Analyzes business needs and creates defines software solutions including custom developed and off the shelf software.
7. Evaluates and recommends software and hardware solutions to meet user needs. Resolves customer issues with software solutions and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
8. Interacts with business users, I/T, vendors and customers to define current and future application requirements.

2174 NOC job duties from website#
Computer programmers perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Write, modify, integrate and test software code
  • Maintain existing computer programs by making modifications as required
  • Identify and communicate technical problems, processes and solutions
  • Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software
  • Assist in the collection and documentation of user requirements
  • Assist in the development of logical and physical specifications
  • May lead and co-ordinate teams of computer programmers
  • May research and evaluate a variety of software products.
2173 job duties
Main duties
Software engineers and designers perform some or all of the following duties:
  • Collect and document users' requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
  • Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems
  • Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
  • Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems
  • Assess, test, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
  • May lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems.

sam_dawkins

Jul 24, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
04-01-2017 (RCMP Criminal Record Check) Submitted 20-01-2017
Nomination.....
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
24-10-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Passport Req..
25-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
02-01-2018
LANDED..........
11-01-2018
2173 sounds better as you job duty includes analysis of business requirements. However, 2173 and 2174 both NOCs are very close. I have a colleague in the same team with same responsibilites, but I used 2174 whereas he used 2173.

USD2CAD

Feb 9, 2018
Thank you guys!!!! Do you foresee any issues i.e rejection, because of incorrect NOC chosen. If I were to choose 2173 or 2174.

tue2017

Oct 6, 2017
Hello guys,
Can you please comment if the following job duties is a good match for 2173 or 2174?

1. Analyzing and evaluating system requirements
2. Engineered the system architecture in accordance with the set guidelines
3. System software devvelopment in accordance with software requirements and specification
4. Unit testing and debugging the system
5. System source code review and walkthrough reports
6. Participate in development team meetings and ensure timely delivery of assigned tasks following agile and software development methodology.

2173:

• Collect and document users' requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
  • Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems
  • Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
  • Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems
  • Assess, test, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
  • May lead and co-ordinate teams of information systems professionals in the development of software and integrated information systems, process control software and other embedded software control systems.
2174:

• Prepare reports, manuals and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of software

Pi3.14

Jun 19, 2018
Senior members, I am creating a profile on express entry, my score is 441, so very hopeful in the upcoming draw. I am very confused on choosing correct NOC. Please, can you check and provide your feedback if my job duties are a suitable match for 2174 or 2173. I have read and compared multiple times and to me, they look to be a mix of both these NOC codes.

My Job duties per Reference letter - (employer won't update these)
1. Analyzes business requirements/processes and system integration considerations to determine appropriate technology solutions for internal and external customers. Designs, evaluates, codes, configures, tests and documents applications based on system and user requirements.
2. Using current programming language and technologies writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications. Completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
3. Develops statements of problems and requirements, designs systems and programs, and writes programs in computer language for solution by means of data processing equipment. Prepares flowcharts and systems diagrams to assist in problem analysis. Responsible for preparing design documentation.
4. Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents software according to systems standards, policies and, procedures, security and compliance requirements.
5. Prepares test data for unit, string and parallel testing.
6. Analyzes business needs and creates defines software solutions including custom developed and off the shelf software.
7. Evaluates and recommends software and hardware solutions to meet user needs. Resolves customer issues with software solutions and responds to suggestions for improvements and enhancements.
8. Interacts with business users, I/T, vendors and customers to define current and future application requirements.

2174 NOC job duties from website#
2173 job duties
Main duties
Hi,

So did you finally choose 2173 for your NOC code? And also do you hold all the Employment requirements mentioned for #2173? Please can you suggest if it is important to consider and match all the 3 things - Job title, Job duties, employment requirements OR just the job duties while selecting the correct NOC?
Where are you now on your PR process? Did you apply through FSW? Please help me clear my doubts as I am really confused and frustrated :(

tue2017

Oct 6, 2017
Hi,

So did you finally choose 2173 for your NOC code? And also do you hold all the Employment requirements mentioned for #2173? Please can you suggest if it is important to consider and match all the 3 things - Job title, Job duties, employment requirements OR just the job duties while selecting the correct NOC?
Where are you now on your PR process? Did you apply through FSW? Please help me clear my doubts as I am really confused and frustrated :(

Hi,
The job duties should match not the title.

ganesh2583

Star Member
Nov 29, 2016
Hi guys,
I have added the below responsibilities for NOC 2174. Can you guys please review and suggest your opinions. I'm planing to submit my application this week.

Role Description:
Programmer Analyst (From February 26th 2012 to October 24th 2013)
  • Add changes to existing Web pages by developing XML using SDL Tridion tool.
  • Develop new Web Services using Struts framework 2.0 as per Clients Requirements.
  • Build User Interface using HTML5, JavaScript and JSP’s which leverage the Web services developed and present a free flowing Customer experience in the browser.
  • Implement Minor Site Enhancements to the client’s website which includes adding and removal of the fields in UI and changing the static content on the web pages.
  • Unit testing the changes made using JUnit and uploading the test results to HP Quality Center.
  • Actively getting the code reviewed by senior programmers and implementing the code review comments.
Programmer Analyst Trainee (From August 25th 2011 to February 25th 2012)
  • Attended Advanced Java training from Cognizant Academy
  • Cleared training exams conducted by the Academy