+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question on extending spouse's work permit upon Spousal sponsorship. Please help!!

Dee92

Aug 12, 2018
Hi. I am an Permanent Resident and will be sponsoring my spouse who is currently working in Canada on an Open work Permit. His work permit expires in Feb 2021.
I read from the website that while we file for Spousal sponsorship, we can also apply for a new Open Work permit for my spouse. There were no mentions of extending the current permit. Here are my doubts -
1. If the processing time for the open work permit under Spousal sponsorship exceeds Feb 2021 (which is when his current work permit expires), will he be under implied status until the decision is made on the new permit and allowed to work?
2. If the answer to #1 is yes, the only requirement is to file for the spousal sponsorship + open work permit before Feb 2021?

Open to any suggestions to help him extend his stay & continue to work in Canada. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. Yes.
2. Yes, assuming you meet all the requirements to file inland and he doesn't leave Canada for more than two or three weeks while the application is processed.