+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question - "have you applied for PR before?"

Stu31

Apr 10, 2015
I have received an ITA previously and filling in the first portion of online questions it asks. There is the question "have you applied for PR before?", now previously I have which was rejected at the time. When I select yes it asks for the PR file number which I do not have due to the rejection. It will not let me continue without answering this.

Has anyone had this issue? How was it resolved?

iceberge

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
INLAND OTTAWA
App. Filed.......
April 7, 2015
Nomination.....
ITA April 10
AOR Received.
AOR April 10
Passport Req..
Oct 13, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
November 2, 2015
LANDED..........
November 11, 2015
Stu31 said:
I have received an ITA previously and filling in the first portion of online questions it asks. There is the question "have you applied for PR before?", now previously I have which was rejected at the time. When I select yes it asks for the PR file number which I do not have due to the rejection. It will not let me continue without answering this.

As per your situation , I understand that you received ITA but havent applied for PR if I am correct. Applying PR and received ITA is different right , why should you say yes you applied for PR ! So its sipmple say no, then go to next page .

PJR3055

Star Member
Nov 18, 2013
iceberge said:
As per your situation , I understand that you received ITA but havent applied for PR if I am correct. Applying PR and received ITA is different right , why should you say you applied for PR ! So its siple say no. Yhen go to next page .
Only if you were issued a File number then you need to check applied PR.

Stu31

Apr 10, 2015
No I previously applied for PR which was rejected months back. I then applied through express entry and received an invitation.
The question asked, I surely have to say yes? From reading another thread on this forum you only receive a PR number when the PR is approved unless I am mistaken.

evand

Mar 21, 2015
You can write anything you want in the box for the file number. The computer doesn't check to make sure it's actually a number. So for my application, I just wrote something like: "I applied previously, but didn't receive a file number because..."

husainammar

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Stu31 said:

Hello,

I had the same case. What I am doing is:

Select yes becoz the truth is you applied for PR

In the box where it asks for PR # write "application returned initially without PR file #"

It does allow that and I think it's the best way cause then you are telling the truth

Regards

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
Stu31 said:
Thanks guys, I will give this a go.
Earlier when you applied they wud have sent you AOR which has application ref# starting with may be E0000000xxxx. Enter that number. If you say No it will become misrepresentation. If I were you at least I will add UCI if u r rejected on CEC.

AP29

Jul 28, 2017
India
Hi, I have been a student in Canada and have an existing UCI. I had made an express entry profile which I withdrew 2 months before it could expire. I received a file number and UCI for it however, I did not receive an ITA before withdrawing the profile. Then I created a new express entry profile and received an ITA in a month. Initially while creating the 2nd profile, I answered yes to the question "have you applied for express entry before?" and provided the file number EXXXXXXXXX. After receiving the ITA, there is a question "have you applied for Permanent Residence before?" This has been pre-filled with the answer as 'yes' along with the file number. Should I change the answer to 'no' as I had not received an ITA previously and could not apply for permanent residence or should I leave it to yes as I had made an express entry profile before the current one?

Any assistance/clarification would be highly appreciated.
Thanks

beagoodman

Oct 16, 2019
Hi, I have been a student in Canada and have an existing UCI. I had made an express entry profile which I withdrew 2 months before it could expire. I received a file number and UCI for it however, I did not receive an ITA before withdrawing the profile. Then I created a new express entry profile and received an ITA in a month. Initially while creating the 2nd profile, I answered yes to the question "have you applied for express entry before?" and provided the file number EXXXXXXXXX. After receiving the ITA, there is a question "have you applied for Permanent Residence before?" This has been pre-filled with the answer as 'yes' along with the file number. Should I change the answer to 'no' as I had not received an ITA previously and could not apply for permanent residence or should I leave it to yes as I had made an express entry profile before the current one?

Any assistance/clarification would be highly appreciated.
Thanks
I am looking for an answer for this

KANCHANA2529

Apr 23, 2021
No I previously applied for PR which was rejected months back. I then applied through express entry and received an invitation.
The question asked, I surely have to say yes? From reading another thread on this forum you only receive a PR number when the PR is approved unless I am mistaken.
Hi, I am facing the same issue today. What was that you tried to get your PR? My earlier PR application rejected due to incomplete checklist (not refused). I received another ITA under CEC for submission.
I am trying to fill my online application. I see this option. If I select Yes- it asks for previous application number.

Earlier when I was trying to create new express entry profile, I marked yes and entered rejected application number, when I submitted, it came up with status as “Profile Ineligible”.

Then again I created express entry profile with option NO, and submitted to enter in pool, for which I got ITA now.

While filling application, again its asking same – do I need to mark yes ? If yes, what happens next? Or leave it no? but that mislead immigration. Please help.