+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question for programmers/software engineering students

BerlinArrow

Nov 16, 2018
Germany, leipzig
Hello everyone,

I just have a question for everyone who choose or currently studying computer programming or software engineering .

What's the best laptop for a college students who applied for computer programming course?

I mean for college and even after college.

(coding, software engineering, software development..etc)

btw I just applied but nothing happened until now :(

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

I just have a question for everyone who choose or currently studying computer programming or software engineering .

What's the best laptop for a college students who applied for computer programming course?

I mean for college and even after college.

(coding, software engineering, software development..etc)

btw I just applied but nothing happened until now :(
“Best” may be debatable... So here’s my 2-cents:

Get at least an Intel i7 or AMD A10
16GB of RAM
1TB SSD

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Most programming doesnt need that much power, I say get anything from an i5 even old gen and get at least 8GB of RAM that is expandable to 16 or 32.
Some specific things like iOS require a Mac or at least a hackintosh/virtual Mac. CPU you can get away with even lower but get as much RAM as possible and an SSD really helps with some programs like Android Studio.

BerlinArrow

Nov 16, 2018
Germany, leipzig
Most programming doesnt need that much power, I say get anything from an i5 even old gen and get at least 8GB of RAM that is expandable to 16 or 32.
Some specific things like iOS require a Mac or at least a hackintosh/virtual Mac. CPU you can get away with even lower but get as much RAM as possible and an SSD really helps with some programs like Android Studio.
Well, I was looking at MacBook Pro with i5, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

What you think? + is it good investment for long term even after graduation?

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018

Some colleges have particular specifications as to what hardware they require. It would be better to wait for your offer letter before finalizing on what laptop you want. Some people prefer to go for Macbooks especially if they are programing for Mac os or ios. If you are going for PC's I would suggest going for a Thinkpad, they are reasonably priced and are quite tough and can be used for a long time and with avaiability of spare parts if that's what you're looking for. If you're going for intel an i5 or i7 would be ideal and if you're going for AMD then it would be better to go for the Ryzen range of laptops which have better-integrated graphics.

BerlinArrow

Nov 16, 2018
Germany, leipzig
Some colleges have particular specifications as to what hardware they require. It would be better to wait for your offer letter before finalizing on what laptop you want. Some people prefer to go for Macbooks especially if they are programing for Mac os or ios. If you are going for PC's I would suggest going for a Thinkpad, they are reasonably priced and are quite tough and can be used for a long time and with avaiability of spare parts if that's what you're looking for. If you're going for intel an i5 or i7 would be ideal and if you're going for AMD then it would be better to go for the Ryzen range of laptops which have better-integrated graphics.

Great. I was thinking about this idea. But how do I know? should I send them an email or what?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014

Probably yes, cant imagine anything that needs more than that. But like others have said some courses will require windows but there are ways to install windows on Mac. Also you have to be careful of the year of the Macbook, Apple have a weird way of ending support for older devices you might not be able to upgrade the OS which means you cant install Xcode etc.

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Great. I was thinking about this idea. But how do I know? should I send them an email or what?
It should be there on the program page or they will have something like mobile requirements page. Mostly on your programs page on the college website it should mention that X hardware is required.

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
If you're a Windows user, try to get a Linux/Unix computer, such as a MacBook for instance. Generally speaking, look for an SSD (doesn't matter if 128GB or 1TB), 8GB RAM, and a decent display.