+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question: Can I sue former employer not giving reference letter?

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
Hi All,

Please give me some advices.

My ex-employer refuses to provide me reference letter.

Reason is Company's policy.

The thing is I never got sign any contract when I stared doing that job.

Of cause , I asked before, but the manager just simply ignored.

So I never saw any company policy states that no references letter provided.

The company is family size, I cannot find any colleague to provide me a reference letter.

The whole thing caused me a lot of pressure. Please help.

Thanks a lot.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
I don't think there is a lot you can do. For the future, get a contract in writing, read it, ask for the company policies, do your due diligence. This is even more valid once you are in Canada, make sure you know your rights and responsibilities.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
No you can't sue them. Sorry to say, but it is totally within their discretion to deny you a reference letter.

Preferably they denied you via email, which means you include that communication to CIC. As a last resort, you can write your duties yourself and have it notarized.

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
foodie69 said:
I don't think there is a lot you can do. For the future, get a contract in writing, read it, ask for the company policies, do your due diligence. This is even more valid once you are in Canada, make sure you know your rights and responsibilities.
Thanks.

That job was my first job in Canada, now I know I have to protect myself.

cayla

Dec 16, 2015
bellaluna said:
No you can't sue them. Sorry to say, but it is totally within their discretion to deny you a reference letter.

Preferably they denied you via email, which means you include that communication to CIC. As a last resort, you can write your duties yourself and have it notarized.
Thank you.

I have the refusal email. But I saw a lot of people here get regectd even they have also provide the refusal email to VO. :-X