+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about PR and Canadian citizenship.

hattac

Sep 25, 2024
Hello all, I am a PR holder and my PR card is about to expire in March 2025. I am also eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.

My question is should I renew my PR first and then apply for Canadian citizenship or can I apply now even though my PR card will expire in the middle of the process?

I was told the canadian citizenship process is about 12 months give or take.

What is your experience?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all, I am a PR holder and my PR card is about to expire in March 2025. I am also eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.

My question is should I renew my PR first and then apply for Canadian citizenship or can I apply now even though my PR card will expire in the middle of the process?

What is your experience?
It's a personal choice.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

What is your experience?
Each application basically irrelevant to the other, although it is likely that one or the other app will be checked against each other for facts (esp the physical presence parts). (That migth, if everything checks out, actually speed things up for one or the other)

IMO the primary reason to apply for the PR card at this point for you is to avoid a situation where you wish to travel abroad, as the citizenship app might take longer than march. If you're not concerned about that, entirely personal choice - there are some more rare circumstances (some job apps, renewing some docs, etc) that might come up, but probably won't be an issue if the citizenshp app proceeds apace.

Reactions: YVR123