+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about police checks/High risk countries

oneworded

Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife is in Toronto Ontario with a student visa. She's from Korea and has been in Toronto for 15 months. I know she needs a police check from Korea, does she need one for her stay in Toronto as well??

and is Korea(south) considered a high risk country on the list for PR?

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
No. She would not need one for the time she has been here. CIC will do their own security checks or if they need for here from her, they will request it. This is what they told me.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
South Korea is not considered high-risk, for either security or marriage fraud. It's not in the lowest risk category, either, though.

oneworded

Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
suenim said:
No. She would not need one for the time she has been here. CIC will do their own security checks or if they need for here from her, they will request it. This is what they told me.
Cause on the instructions it stated that she needs a police check from the place she stayed in for over 6 months in the last 10 years, she was in Korea since birth and have been in Toronto since April 2009-present. Does anyone else know the answer to this?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
She needs a police certificate from South Korea. Applicants need one from every country they have been in for more than 6 months, except Canada: you do not need to send one in from Canada - I suppose because CIC will have the Canadian police checks done themselves. The CIC website says they may ask you for a Canadian police certificate after you submit your application. Here's the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

oneworded

Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
She needs a police certificate from South Korea. Applicants need one from every country they have been in for more than 6 months, except Canada: you do not need to send one in from Canada - I suppose because CIC will have the Canadian police checks done themselves. The CIC website says they may ask you for a Canadian police certificate after you submit your application. Here's the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp
Okay, again thank you so much =) and I'm going to say it again it would be really nice if they add the small, yet important bit, "except Canada" on the instructions. I can finally take a breather knowing I'm that much closer to completing this package. Canadianwoman do you have any advice for my other thread? http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/updated-im-really-frustrated-with-many-questions-i-really-need-help-t49109.0.html

OnTheMove

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 6, 2010
AOR Received.
June 7, 2010
File Transfer...
July 20, 2010
Med's Done....
March 18, 2010
Passport Req..
received Sept 13th
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 28
LANDED..........
Oct 31
canadianwoman said:
South Korea is not considered high-risk, for either security or marriage fraud. It's not in the lowest risk category, either, though.
I am just wondering if there is a list of the high risk/low risk counties somewhere...

oneworded

Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my wife recieved the police check from south Korea, but it's written in all Korean with no English is that okay? is CIC going to translate it themselves ?I'm sure my wife told the Korean police it's for a canadian pr application (inland)

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
oneworded said:
my wife recieved the police check from south Korea, but it's written in all Korean with no English is that okay? is CIC going to translate it themselves ?I'm sure my wife told the Korean police it's for a canadian pr application (inland)
No. All official documents must have an english or french translation. You'll have to go pay for a certified translation. Things like emails between the two of you (for example) don't have to be officially translated, you could do it yourself; but the police certificate will have to be translated professionally.

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
OnTheMove said:
I am just wondering if there is a list of the high risk/low risk counties somewhere...
OnTheMove....just wondered if anyone answered this...I am looking for a list too...

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
dair2dv8103100 said:
OnTheMove....just wondered if anyone answered this...I am looking for a list too...
None one has yet...I'm curious too!

I'm also sponsoring my husband from Morocco....so if you are curious about whether Morocco would qualify as as high risk country....yep. yes. and uh-huh. The major concerns with Morocco would be terrorism and marriage fraud.

Lynn

I

iarblue

They cant give you a list it would be discrimination.But you know as well as i do who it is,i dont think you need a list to figure it out.War torn countries,countries who have been known to scam people for years.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
iarblue said:
They cant give you a list it would be discrimination.But you know as well as i do who it is,i dont think you need a list to figure it out.War torn countries,countries who have been known to scam people for years.
Good point. I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah, if you think a little bit about it, it's pretty easy to figure out. You can also make a pretty educated guess based on average processing times...I think I read on the forum somewhere that Accra is 8-20 months. Ouch.

Lynn

dair2dv8103100

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
28.02.11/19.03.12
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Aug 1, 2012 :)
Well it is interesting because Australia gives a list of "not high risk" countries....so is that discrimination since there are a good many countries NOT listed on it...LOL

Anyway, I knew about Nigeria and such but was curious about Morocco....I suppose most countries in North Africa are due to the amount of fraud there. Please don't give me hate mail because of this comment...we all know it's true.

@ Lynn... I am traveling in Jan, 11 to Morocco to marry my fiance so it is good to know there are others out there that are doing this even with the challenges we face. I wish you the absolute best and God's blessings for you and your husband.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
locolynn said:
Good point. I hadn't even thought of that. Yeah, if you think a little bit about it, it's pretty easy to figure out. You can also make a pretty educated guess based on average processing times...I think I read on the forum somewhere that Accra is 8-20 months. Ouch.

Lynn
Except that Beijing (China) is a LOT quicker at processing applications than Hong Kong, and Hong Kong applicants would certainly be considered lower risk than Mainland Chinese applicants. I am assuming that a lot of the applications Hong Kong processes are from Hong Kong itself, while the majority of applications processed by Beijing would be from mainlanders.

My point is that the apparent riskiness of the country does not always correlate with longer processing times.