+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about expiring PGWP and National ID Requirements

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
Hi,

I'm currently already qualified for PR application under CEC since April 9, however I'm in a little bit of a conundrum here...

My PGWP issued a year ago is going to expire Dec this year, as that's the expiry that of my Passport. I'm however eligible for a 3-year PGWP (and it says so on my PGWP that it's only issued till passport expiry).

I'll be returning home this year in August to renew my passport, and also to get a new copy of my National ID as it was lost in 2011 when I was on a trip to Montreal.

Because of this slight complication with the expiration of my passport and PGWP, and the lost of my national ID card, I'm delaying my PR application for 4 months. By the time I send in my application, my PGWP will be expiring at the end of Dec 2013, but I'll be applying for extension as soon as I return to Canada.

So my question is:

1. Would that expiry date on my PGWP affect my PR application? Or should I delay it further (i.e. till I get an extended PGWP), and then hopefully apply for a bridging work permit if my application doesn't get processed fast enough?

2. Is the national ID a required/MUST document? (I have my birth certificate and can get it translated and notarized by the end of June). I can then submit my PR application, and then apply for PGWP extension after I return from my trip home in August. FYI, I'm a Malaysian citizen and all Malaysians are issued a national ID card at 18 years old.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

PB02

Star Member
Mar 5, 2013
dunnoyet said:
Hi,

I'm currently already qualified for PR application under CEC since April 9, however I'm in a little bit of a conundrum here...

My PGWP issued a year ago is going to expire Dec this year, as that's the expiry that of my Passport. I'm however eligible for a 3-year PGWP (and it says so on my PGWP that it's only issued till passport expiry).

I'll be returning home this year in August to renew my passport, and also to get a new copy of my National ID as it was lost in 2011 when I was on a trip to Montreal.

Because of this slight complication with the expiration of my passport and PGWP, and the lost of my national ID card, I'm delaying my PR application for 4 months. By the time I send in my application, my PGWP will be expiring at the end of Dec 2013, but I'll be applying for extension as soon as I return to Canada.

So my question is:

1. Would that expiry date on my PGWP affect my PR application? Or should I delay it further (i.e. till I get an extended PGWP), and then hopefully apply for a bridging work permit if my application doesn't get processed fast enough?

2. Is the national ID a required/MUST document? (I have my birth certificate and can get it translated and notarized by the end of June). I can then submit my PR application, and then apply for PGWP extension after I return from my trip home in August. FYI, I'm a Malaysian citizen and all Malaysians are issued a national ID card at 18 years old.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Hello,
Why do you have to go to your home country to apply for Passport...Doesn't your country have an embassy in Canada?

National ID is not a must document, you can apply without a national ID and if get a new one you can always update your file (but this is not mandatory)

Don't waste your time in waiting for these documents, If you have a valid passport now...you are good to apply

Good Luck!

PB02

Star Member
Mar 5, 2013
A question!

You said you are eligible since April...Was your PGWP issued in April 2012?

The reason I am asking is that CIC doesn't count experience worked on Off Campus WP

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
PB02 said:
Hello,
Why do you have to go to your home country to apply for Passport...Doesn't your country have an embassy in Canada?

National ID is not a must document, you can apply without a national ID and if get a new one you can always update your file (but this is not mandatory)

Don't waste your time in waiting for these documents, If you have a valid passport now...you are good to apply

Good Luck!
Thanks! The reason I need to return home for my passport is because the embassy in Canada requires my National ID card when I'm renewing my passport, which I lost in Montreal 2011...

dunnoyet

Jun 10, 2013
PB02 said:
A question!

You said you are eligible since April...Was your PGWP issued in April 2012?

The reason I am asking is that CIC doesn't count experience worked on Off Campus WP
My PGWP was issued on Jan 24th 2012, and I only started working full time since April 9 2012. So basically April 2013 this year, I've fulfilled my 1 year work experience requirement, if not more considering now it's already June...

PB02

Star Member
Mar 5, 2013
dunnoyet said:
My PGWP was issued on Jan 24th 2012, and I only started working full time since April 9 2012. So basically April 2013 this year, I've fulfilled my 1 year work experience requirement, if not more considering now it's already June...
I would suggest that you apply asap then