+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about applying for an Open work permit while having a PGWP - Inland Sponsorship

danivasquez29

May 30, 2024
Good evening,

I am currently working with a PGWP that I obtained after graduating with a Master's Degree. This work permit is valid until August 2024. My fiancé and I applied for my PR through the inland common law sponsorship in September 2023.

After applying to the PR in September, I received the order for biometrics and medical exams, however, the application has not been approved yet and it is still in progress.

I wanted to ask to the forum community if by having a PGWP that expires in 3 months can I apply to an open work permit through the sponsorship application while I await for a final decision on my PR application?

Has anyone experienced a similar situation that can tell me how to proceed?.

Please let me know. I really appreciate the guidance. Thank you so much.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Good evening,

I am currently working with a PGWP that I obtained after graduating with a Master's Degree. This work permit is valid until August 2024. My fiancé and I applied for my PR through the inland common law sponsorship in September 2023.

After applying to the PR in September, I received the order for biometrics and medical exams, however, the application has not been approved yet and it is still in progress.

I wanted to ask to the forum community if by having a PGWP that expires in 3 months can I apply to an open work permit through the sponsorship application while I await for a final decision on my PR application?

Has anyone experienced a similar situation that can tell me how to proceed?.

Please let me know. I really appreciate the guidance. Thank you so much.
If you have went through the biometrics and medical requests, you have AOR (the email with your application number). You can apply for an OWP. As long as that OWP application is filed correctly and you are still in a valid status (PGWP not expired), you are on maintenance/implied status.

As far as I know, it's not called "BOWP" for spousal sponsorship, look for OWP and check other posts in this section of the forum for steps to apply for OWP after AOR of spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: armoured