+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

query on part-time work experience

Stevegooners

Aug 4, 2014
Query:

I've been working as a full-time in-house translator for 8 consecutive months since January this year and worked as a freelance (part-time) translator for several translation agencies at the same time from December 2012 to December 2013. Basically, up to now I haven' got the required one-year full time experience and meanwhile my part-time experience does not add up to 1560 hours, however I'm sure my part-time work experience is equivalent to 4 month of full-time work experience.

Does my work experience make me eligible for the skilled worker program?

Basically, will my 8-month full time experience and nearly one-year part time experience (equivalent to nearly 6-month full time) be considered as "one-year" work experience by CIC?

Many thanks!

spikeKiller

Star Member
Aug 1, 2014
Stevegooners said:
Query:

I've been working as a full-time in-house translator for 8 consecutive months since January this year and worked as a freelance (part-time) translator for several translation agencies at the same time from December 2012 to December 2013. Basically, up to now I haven' got the required one-year full time experience and meanwhile my part-time experience does not add up to 1560 hours, however I'm sure my part-time work experience is equivalent to 4 month of full-time work experience.

Does my work experience make me eligible for the skilled worker program?

Basically, will my 8-month full time experience and nearly one-year part time experience (equivalent to nearly 6-month full time) be considered as "one-year" work experience by CIC?

Many thanks!
try to get reference of full time work, otherwise you are in soup

Stevegooners

Aug 4, 2014
spikeKiller said:
try to get reference of full time work, otherwise you are in soup
Yes, I've already got two reference letters from full-time employers and three reference letters from three different translation agencies which I have worked with.
But, can I count my part-time experience as 6 month full-time experience in order to meet the minimum one year requirement?

nnadalinn

Sep 11, 2014
Hi Stevegooners,

Having seen your message on the forum, I cannot help asking you a question, hope you don't mind. :)

Did you eventually send your application? If so, how did you go about proving your experience as a freelance translator? I'm having a somewhat related problem now, even though I'd probably not be considered a full-time freelance translator by the bureau's standards.

Thanks!