+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUERY about WORK PERMIT

c_mehrok

Apr 12, 2014
Hi,
I studied for two years, 1 year of study from Toronto Centennial college and then moved to Winnipeg and did my second course over there. When I applied for my work permit I only got 1 year of work permit instead of 2 year( by law i am suppose to get 2 years of PGWP) when I reapplied for work permit extension CIC rejected it without giving any reason. Now I am left with only 3 months of my work permit and have no idea what to do..?? Should I move to any province where I can apply ASAP or what..?? Can please someone help me out of this situation as i m completely lost right now...!!!

MenicMonday

Feb 25, 2014
What was the expiry date of your passport when you first applied for the WP?
What was the expiry date when you got rejected?

Hope1957

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2014
LANDED..........
21-03-15
It is not the law for you to be granted a 2 year work permit. It's at the discretion of the VO to grant you either a 2 year work permit (because you studied 2 different programs for 2 years) OR to grant you a 1 year work permit because the duration of your last program of study was for 1 year.
I am not entirely sure how moving to another province when you have 3 months left on your work permit will help you but there's no harm in trying. Look into all the provinces' PNP program and choose the one that is most suitable for you.

c_mehrok said:
Hi,
I studied for two years, 1 year of study from Toronto Centennial college and then moved to Winnipeg and did my second course over there. When I applied for my work permit I only got 1 year of work permit instead of 2 year( by law i am suppose to get 2 years of PGWP) when I reapplied for work permit extension CIC rejected it without giving any reason. Now I am left with only 3 months of my work permit and have no idea what to do..?? Should I move to any province where I can apply ASAP or what..?? Can please someone help me out of this situation as i m completely lost right now...!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There is no law that states CIC must give you a permit of a certain length. The website says that if you study for 2 years, a work permit may be issued for three years.

Order your GCMS notes immediately. This will tell you exact reasons of refusal.

Centennial College is on the PGWP participating institutions list. Are you sure that the Winnipeg school was as well?

mawin

Nov 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Impact of length of program of study in Canada and the length of the work permit
A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the official length of your program of study in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three-year year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.

If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years
You are not eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program if you:

study in a program that is less than eight months long
participate in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada (DFATD)
participate in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by DFATD
receive funding from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
participate in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
participate in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program
participate in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
participate in a distance learning program either from abroad or from within Canada or
have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.

aneelkanth

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Toronto
Ontario Graduate Certificate is meant only for Ontario and I am guessing your education in Winnipeg was considered different or irrelevant by the VO.
Applying for extension is no use now as the decision on a PGWP is final. The reason for refusal on your attempt for extension would simply state "PGWP already issued"

Use all the work experience you have accumulated and find a good employer who would get you a LMO for your work permit extension.
Good luck