+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query about total work experience and student work experience.

rgsgeorge

Dec 13, 2020
I had query related to my total work experience. I am currently working full time in the US (40hrs a week) and on F1 visa. Till date, I have completed 2.5 year at my current company. I plan to use this as my primary NOC type. However I was hoping to get some more points if I can show 3 years worth of experience. This can be done if I include my internships that I did during my masters and bachelors degree. They did contribute to my credits in college. Each of these internships were for a few months only (2-3 typically), full-time and paid.

There are two parts to my question. Is it alright to use this to increase my score? I see conflicted posts all over the internet. I referred to this, which seems to say that I can use it: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29. However other posts on other forums tend to suggest otherwise. The second part is related to the duration of the internship. I know that that primary NOC needs to be at least 1 year continuous which I have, but is this rule applicable to the internships I did during my studies? Please note that I did my masters in the US and bachelors in India and I am thinking of applying for Express entry under the Federal Skilled Worker program.

Last edited:

rgsgeorge

Dec 13, 2020
Thanks for replying. I was trying a sample application in the express entry portal, and under the work history section, they mentioned this:
We will assess <applicant's> current and previous jobs for eligibility for Express Entry, and use them to calculate <applicant's> score. You can tell us about each job by filling in the fields below. Do not enter any work related to or performed during an apprenticeship process.
It say's that I should not enter apprenticeship related work. Does that include internships as well then? Some of the internships were full time and paid as well.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Thanks for replying. I was trying a sample application in the express entry portal, and under the work history section, they mentioned this:

It say's that I should not enter apprenticeship related work. Does that include internships as well then? Some of the internships were full time and paid as well.
Apprenticeship is on the job training, not internship.

rgsgeorge

Dec 13, 2020
Thank you. One last thing. One of my internships was in two parts. I did it in the summer of 2017. That was full time and paid. The second was at the same company/start-up in my spring semester in 2018 as a co-op. It was for 4 months but it was part-time. It was paid as well. From what I understand I cannot use the part time student work experience, right? If that is the case, is it alright if I add that info as well in my work reference letter. I will ask my previous manager to include the time periods for both in the reference letters. However should the duties be grouped separately as well? One for each internship. The other option is to get two different work reference letters.

Last edited: