+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine plan in case of DLI change

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
Hey guys, my university admission letter is from bishop university in Quebec and I have obtained my student visa and port of entry introduction letter based on that, but I have another admission letter form a college in Nova Scotia. now since the new rules require us to be in Canada to change DLI, I want to enter Canada from Montreal, present all my Quebec-related documents to border officers and go into 3 days hotel quarantine. then during that time, I will change my DLI online and continue my 11 days hotel quarantine in the same hotel. then after finishing the 14 days cumulative quarantine period, head back to airport and fly to Nova Scotia to study in my desired college.
is this procedure correct and doable?
or should I spend a quarantine period at Nova Scotia too? I mean 14 days quarantine in Montreal will be enough for Nova Scotia? or I should self isolate for another 2 week in Nova Scotia again?

Last edited:

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hey guys, my university admission letter is from bishop university in Quebec and I have obtained my student visa and port of entry introduction letter based on that, but I have another admission letter form a college in Nova Scotia. now since the new rules require us to be in Canada to change DLI, I want to enter Canada from Montreal, present all my Quebec-related documents to border officers and go into 3 days hotel quarantine. then during that time, I will change my DLI online and continue my 11 days hotel quarantine in the same hotel. then after finishing the 14 days cumulative quarantine period, head back to airport and fly to Nova Scotia to study in my desired college.
is this procedure correct and doable?
or should I spend a quarantine period at Nova Scotia too? I mean 14 days quarantine in Montreal will be enough for Nova Scotia? or I should self isolate for another 2 week in Nova Scotia again?
This was what I was planning to do, but IRCC insists (vial email) that for new SPs you need to re-apply to change your DLI unless you have been actively studying at your current DLI (I am not sure what constitutes active studying and IRCC refuses to give a proper context). Which means that even if we land in Canada and change our DLI immediately, we will still be penalised (not sure what form the penalty will be? Perhaps they will cancel the SP like they did with another student I read about on Twitter).

To avoid all these shenanigans, I've gone ahead and re-applied for my SP.

Reactions: sbenyamin

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
This was what I was planning to do, but IRCC insists (vial email) that for new SPs you need to re-apply to change your DLI unless you have been actively studying at your current DLI (I am not sure what constitutes active studying and IRCC refuses to give a proper context). Which means that even if we land in Canada and change our DLI immediately, we will still be penalised (not sure what form the penalty will be? Perhaps they will cancel the SP like they did with another student I read about on Twitter).

thanks for the reply. Are you sure that there will be a penalty if you change your DLI from inside Canada? as far as I know, if you change DLI before entering Canada, your permit is canceled and you have to re-apply, but if you change after obtaining your study permit at the entry point, there will be no penalty.

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020

Can you share that E-mail from IRCC please?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
thanks for the reply. Are you sure that there will be a penalty if you change your DLI from inside Canada? as far as I know, if you change DLI before entering Canada, your permit is canceled and you have to re-apply, but if you change after obtaining your study permit at the entry point, there will be no penalty.
Like I said, I don't know what the penalty will be or if there's any. There was a guy on this forum in January I think, who switched his DLI just before he left and his SP was cancelled and he was notified not to attempt to travel. I don't know what eventually happened with him cos he stopped posting.

The rules on the IRCC is clear - To be able to switch DLI while in Canada, you need to be actively studying. Unfortunately no one can say with certainty what constitutes active studies...