+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QSW - Landing via Road from US - Questions! Help will be appreciated!

ryuu

Aug 14, 2012
Hey Everyone,

I have gotten my CoPR for Quebec and will be driving to Montreal from US very soon to complete my landing. I was wondering if any senior members can give me advise on going through the border and then coming back few later to US (as I will go back to Canada few months later to settle down)?

Also, I had few questions if anyone can answer:

1) Are there any concerns regarding taking rental car to Canada and then back? I currently work in US.

2) I know that I need to make the lists for things that I am taking plus that I will bring with me at a later date. How detail do they have to be (e.g. do they need to include model numbers, very accurate price, etc)? What happens if I want to bring more items later but are not on the list? Or if I don't bring all the items that are on the list? And any restrictions on total value of stuff to bring? Finally, can I bring in a car at a later date if I put it on the list and does it have to be the same car as on the list?

3) I will be going for only few days to montreal and then back. Is it okay to say that at the port of entry? Or will there be an issue that I am leaving so soon? I will give my friend's address in Canada (not Quebec) for PR card, will that be okay?

4) Will they be able to communicate in English as my French is not good?

5) Can I use my paystubs from my current job in US to show my financial support along with US bank statements?

6) Will getting SIN take more than a day? Also, I don't think that I can apply for health insurance in four days and plan to do it when I return to Canada later. So, do I need to fulfill any formality this time so I can get health insurance at later time?

7) Do I give up CSQ copy at the border or will I need to keep it? And do I need to submit the copy of CSQ somewhere when I get to Montreal or is it for me to retain?

8) In the long run can I stay at my friend in Ottawa (as it will be cheaper) as I try to settle in Quebec (i.e. find jobs, etc)? The reason I am saying is that I want to try to settle in Quebec but living in nearby Ottawa is financially better. Will that be an issue?

9) Finally, how long do I need to stay in Quebec to not raise any eyebrows if I move to other parts of Canada?

Happy New Year!
Thanks!

ryuu

Aug 14, 2012
Bump.

Heading to Canada soon and would really appreciate some help!

Happy new year all!