+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Public School job offer and LMIA

Jun 21, 2022
I have received a job offer from a first nation school in Manitoba after an interview and I've also received a letter of eligibility of teaching certificate in Manitoba.
After I received a work permit , then I can apply for a valid Manitoba teaching certificate using the letter of eligibility.
My question , how am I going to get a LMIA . Some people say that public school board will not give you a LMIA and anybody knows why is that ?
I've just sent an email to talk about LMIA with the school board . Still waiting a reply . Anyone has relevant knowledge ? Your assistance would be appreciated. Thank you !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have received a job offer from a first nation school in Manitoba after an interview and I've also received a letter of eligibility of teaching certificate in Manitoba.
After I received a work permit , then I can apply for a valid Manitoba teaching certificate using the letter of eligibility.
My question , how am I going to get a LMIA . Some people say that public school board will not give you a LMIA and anybody knows why is that ?
I've just sent an email to talk about LMIA with the school board . Still waiting a reply . Anyone has relevant knowledge ? Your assistance would be appreciated. Thank you !
The school is the one that needs to obtain the approved LMIA. This isn't something you can do yourself. Reaching out to the school to ask about the LMIA was the right course of action. Presumably they knew you required a work permit when they interviewed you so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Given the need for teachers especially teachers on reserves most of these school boards are willing to apply for LMIA. There is a known shortage of teachers in many areas of Canada especially in certain subjects so getting the LMIA approved should also not be difficult. The requirements to get licensed to teach on a reserve are often different than other regions and sadly often easier than other areas because it can be difficult to secure workers in many reserves and work environment can be challenging because there are a variety of issues facing families on reserves which also affects the children. Would ask about housing because in some of the reserves there is a huge shortage of housing.

Jun 21, 2022
Given the need for teachers especially teachers on reserves most of these school boards are willing to apply for LMIA. There is a known shortage of teachers in many areas of Canada especially in certain subjects so getting the LMIA approved should also not be difficult. The requirements to get licensed to teach on a reserve are often different than other regions and sadly often easier than other areas because it can be difficult to secure workers in many reserves and work environment can be challenging because there are a variety of issues facing families on reserves which also affects the children. Would ask about housing because in some of the reserves there is a huge shortage of housing.
Thank you for your information . Those are really helpful suggestion and knowledge. Really appreciate. As soon as I receive a valid work visa , I will be able to apply for a teaching certificate. The process of applying a teaching certificate cost entire year. This was not an easy journey.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your information . Those are really helpful suggestion and knowledge. Really appreciate. As soon as I receive a valid work visa , I will be able to apply for a teaching certificate. The process of applying a teaching certificate cost entire year. This was not an easy journey.
But you need a LMIA, and then get approved work permit. Your WP application may be refused because you cannot teach as you need the certificate first. A WP doesn’t allow you to teach.

Jun 21, 2022
But you need a LMIA, and then get approved work permit. Your WP application may be refused because you cannot teach as you need the certificate first. A WP doesn’t allow you to teach.
Thank you for reminding me of this. I will explain to the visa officer in detail about certificate. Thank you my friend.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for reminding me of this. I will explain to the visa officer in detail about certificate. Thank you my friend.
You cannot work without a Teaching Certificate. The VO will follow the NOC. Why would VO give you a WP when you cannot work as a teacher? To get a LMIA, the school board has to prove that they cannot hire a licensed teacher, and that no one can teach. They have to prove that you are the only one qualified and licensed, and you aren’t.

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1322554&CVD=1322870&CPV=41220&CST=01052021&MLV=5&CLV=5

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's not the visa officer you have to explain this to.

You need to speak with your employer (the school). The school needs to get an approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.

Jun 21, 2022
You cannot work without a Teaching Certificate. The VO will follow the NOC. Why would VO give you a WP when you cannot work as a teacher? To get a LMIA, the school board has to prove that they cannot hire a licensed teacher, and that no one can teach. They have to prove that you are the only one qualified and licensed, and you aren’t.

https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3VD.pl?Function=getVD&TVD=1322554&CVD=1322870&CPV=41220&CST=01052021&MLV=5&CLV=5
It's not the visa officer you have to explain this to.

You need to speak with your employer (the school). The school needs to get an approved LMIA before you can apply for a work permit.
That's correct . I am waiting for reply.

Jun 21, 2022

The letter issued from Manitoba teacher unit could be presented to the VO as a proof. I hold a statement of eligibility letter now.
Quote:
Can I apply from outside of Canada?
Yes, if you are living outside of Manitoba at the time you apply for certification, your application can still be evaluated. If you are eligible for certification, a Statement of Eligibility (SOE) may be issued. An SOE is not a teaching certificate but it is proof of the applicant's eligibility for a Manitoba Professional Teaching Certificate. Once the applicant obtains a Valid Work Visa, becomes a Canadian Citizen or achieves landed immigrant status, the applicant would then provide proof of citizenship along with a current background check to Professional Certification Unit (PCU).
A SOE may allow you to negotiate a contract with a school division or district in Manitoba

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The letter issued from Manitoba teacher unit could be presented to the VO as a proof. I hold a statement of eligibility letter now.
Quote:
Can I apply from outside of Canada?
Yes, if you are living outside of Manitoba at the time you apply for certification, your application can still be evaluated. If you are eligible for certification, a Statement of Eligibility (SOE) may be issued. An SOE is not a teaching certificate but it is proof of the applicant's eligibility for a Manitoba Professional Teaching Certificate. Once the applicant obtains a Valid Work Visa, becomes a Canadian Citizen or achieves landed immigrant status, the applicant would then provide proof of citizenship along with a current background check to Professional Certification Unit (PCU).
A SOE may allow you to negotiate a contract with a school division or district in Manitoba
Right. Does the posting of your job offer say you must have certification? Again, school board needs a LMIA to prove they cannot hire a certified teacher and then posted the job in Manitoba looking for teachers who are not certified.

Jun 21, 2022
Right. Does the posting of your job offer say you must have certification? Again, school board needs a LMIA to prove they cannot hire a certified teacher and then posted the job in Manitoba looking for teachers who are not certified.
The job offer did say I must have certification. the school not only posted the job in Manitoba , but also in the whole Canada . The school is located at God's Lake , where there has been a shortage of qualified teacher.