+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRRA - Information

Mocisse23

Jan 11, 2022
Hi everyone,
I had my eligibily for my asylum yesterday and due to my previous wife's (cancelled) asylum case in USA in 2016( that I was part of it) I got rejected. They gave me the asylum document (DDA valid till 2026) that state that i'm not eligible for asylum but elibible for PRRA (ERAR).
I would like to know what does that mean? Do I have to call IRCC or CBSA to get the PRRA documents to start the process? Also they told me I can apply for work permit but my lawyer told me it will be difficult to get one until my PRRA application start. Should I appy online to get one or wait for the PRRA application to start.

Thank you in advance for your insight
Sorry for my bad english.

Zai24

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Ask your lawyer to get Prra application. It has time limit to apply in 15 days. After that apply for work permit. Prra is not hearing based. Its on document based. It means they decide on proofs you provide. It takes long time.

Mocisse23

Jan 11, 2022
Ask your lawyer to get Prra application. It has time limit to apply in 15 days. After that apply for work permit. Prra is not hearing based. Its on document based. It means they decide on proofs you provide. It takes long time.
Thanks for your reply, Lawyer told me PRRA application documents are only delivered by CSBA agents. He said forms are not available online.
Immigration agent told me CBSA should call me to attend PRRA interview before I can start the process.

This is what is stated on the website:
Many persons facing removal from Canada are given the opportunity to apply for a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA). Generally speaking, you may not apply for a PRRA unless the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has notified you that you may do so, and given you a Notification Regarding a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment. If eligible and you wish to apply, you must submit your application form and written submissions (if any) to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Humanitarian Migration office either online through epost Connect or by mail at the address listed in your Notification.

Thanks

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
To apply for a PRRA, you must complete and submit the form, Application for a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (IMM 5508).

CBSA would sent IMM 5508 form to you.

You also make written submissions and provide documentary evidence to support your case.

In addition, you could submit your PRRA application online through e-post Connect.

You could use e-post connect to : send immigration your application and supporting documents.
got information about your PRRA hearing , if you need one.
update your application and personal information if your circumstances change

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Once you receive PRRA application form (IMM 5508). you need to deliver it to immigration within 15 days through e-post connect or by mail

Afterward, you have additional 15 days to finish your written submission and provide documentary evidence to immigration

Mocisse23

Jan 11, 2022
Once you receive PRRA application form (IMM 5508). you need to deliver it to immigration within 15 days through e-post connect or by mail

Afterward, you have additional 15 days to finish your written submission and provide documentary evidence to immigration
Excellent, Thank you so much for your help. So basically I have to wait for CBSA to call me or send me a letter to get the PRRA application kit? Or can I call them directly as per my lawyer?

Thanks a lot

peace123

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Excellent, Thank you so much for your help. So basically I have to wait for CBSA to call me or send me a letter to get the PRRA application kit? Or can I call them directly as per my lawyer?

Thanks a lot
CBSA would notice you. You just wait for the call from CBSA now.

Of course, you could prepare for your written submissions and collect new evidence to support your PRRA now.

A PRRA application is normally assessed only on the basis of written information. Written submissions give you the opportunity to describe your situation. It is in your written submissions that you can explain why you think that you would be at risk if removed to your country of nationality or former habitual residence.

It is important that you clearly answer the following questions in your written submissions.
  1. Why would I be at risk if I was returned to my country of nationality or habitual residence?
  2. What kind of risks would I face and why?
  3. How do these risks concern me directly and personally?
  4. Could I escape these risks by moving to another city or region of my country?
  5. How does my situation compare with the situation of the rest of the population in my country of nationality or habitual residence?

Mocisse23

Jan 11, 2022
CBSA would notice you. You just wait for the call from CBSA now.

Of course, you could prepare for your written submissions and collect new evidence to support your PRRA now.

A PRRA application is normally assessed only on the basis of written information. Written submissions give you the opportunity to describe your situation. It is in your written submissions that you can explain why you think that you would be at risk if removed to your country of nationality or former habitual residence.

It is important that you clearly answer the following questions in your written submissions.
  1. Why would I be at risk if I was returned to my country of nationality or habitual residence?
  2. What kind of risks would I face and why?
  3. How do these risks concern me directly and personally?
  4. Could I escape these risks by moving to another city or region of my country?
  5. How does my situation compare with the situation of the rest of the population in my country of nationality or habitual residence?
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply and give your insight, I really do appreciate it. I called IRCC today, they told me the same. I should wait for CBSA call. In the meantime should I apply for work permit as suggested by IRCC agent (after they gave me the refugee claimant document) or wait till my PRRA application start?

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for taking your time to reply and give your insight, I really do appreciate it. I called IRCC today, they told me the same. I should wait for CBSA call. In the meantime should I apply for work permit as suggested by IRCC agent (after they gave me the refugee claimant document) or wait till my PRRA application start?

Thank you.
would warn you that very few people get to remain in Canada based on their PPRA application so would be looking for other options.

Reactions: derin1010