+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Prospective Student w/ Medical Problem (Thalassemia Major)

Ranvir Moore

Feb 9, 2018
Hi Experts,

My niece will like to come to Canada as an International Student but unfortunately she suffers from Thalassemia Major. She requires blood transfusion every month.

Do you think she has any chance of clearing Medical Examination and getting the student visa given the fact that this could be heavy expense on the medical system? I am not if any insurance would cover the expense of pre-existing condition treatments.

Please advise.

Regards!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Experts,

My niece will like to come to Canada as an International Student but unfortunately she suffers from Thalassemia Major. She requires blood transfusion every month.

Do you think she has any chance of clearing Medical Examination and getting the student visa given the fact that this could be heavy expense on the medical system? I am not if any insurance would cover the expense of pre-existing condition treatments.

Please advise.

Regards!
Her chances of being approved will unfortunately be very low due to her medical condition.

There is no insurance that will cover the costs of the blood transfusions given this is a pre-existing condition.

Ranvir Moore

Feb 9, 2018
Thanks Scylla!!

Do we have any other option on our hands that we could explore?
Is it possible for us to volunteer to pay for these blood transfusions from your pocket?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla!!

Is it possible for us to volunteer to pay for these blood transfusions from your pocket?
You can certainly try that. I don't know if this has any chances of working.

The first step is to have your niece apply for the study permit and to go through the medical. You then need to see what comes out of the medical exam review and if IRCC issues a PFL intending to deny the application due to her medical condition. If you receive this letter, then when you respond this is the point where you would make a guarantee to cover the costs of her care.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Scylla!!

If she is accepted she gets automatic access to either provincial medical care or international student medical insurance depending on the province. There is no way to require someone to cover the costs. If accepted you’d need to look at the international student medical insurance to see what kind of coverage it would provide. There is quite a risk of being denied a study permit or eventually PR for medical reasons. Much more expensive treatments are now used to try to cure Thalassemia like bone marrow transplants because longterm blood transfusions cause lots of complications. Bone marrow transplant will be extremely expensive.