+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Status for USA citizen in sponsorship application

May 22, 2024
Hello,
I am an Indian citizen and a Permanent resident in Canada. I am sponsoring my 2 year old child who is a citizen of USA. We moved to Canada recently and I am now applying to sponsor my child.

One of the documents to attach in the application is the "Proof of Status in Canada". For me, I am attaching a copy of my PR card. I am wondering what document I need to attach for my child. She is a visitor in Canada but there is no document showing that. There was no entry stamp on her USA passport when we entered Canada.

Can anyone suggest what document to use for my child's proof of status in Canada? Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,
I am an Indian citizen and a Permanent resident in Canada. I am sponsoring my 2 year old child who is a citizen of USA. We moved to Canada recently and I am now applying to sponsor my child.

One of the documents to attach in the application is the "Proof of Status in Canada". For me, I am attaching a copy of my PR card. I am wondering what document I need to attach for my child. She is a visitor in Canada but there is no document showing that. There was no entry stamp on her USA passport when we entered Canada.

Can anyone suggest what document to use for my child's proof of status in Canada? Thank you
If you entered with the child by plane, anything that shows the day of the flight like boarding pass will probably be enough. Same if you entered by land but obviously less likelihood of that.

If you don't have anything, just include a short letter of explanation that passport was not stamped, date and time of entry @ port of entry, and that you do not have anything which shows that. Do note that even if you don't have that info, you should still make sure the child stays in status (eg by extending stay before six months have passed since entry).

Reactions: YVR123
May 22, 2024
Thank you again for quick response !! We drove from the USA and entered through the land border. I will include a letter of explanation with the day and rough time of entry.
Appreciate your help.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Assume you are also compliant with your RO?

May 22, 2024
Assume you are also compliant with your RO?
Hello, I was given 44(1) at the port of entry when I moved to Canada for not meeting the RO of 730 days. I have spent little over 2 months here so far and there has not been any change since we entered.
We plan to settle here. I am sponsoring my daughter because she is dependent on me, this way her status will stay valid and she will have the Health coverage instead of private insurance.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, I was given 44(1) at the port of entry when I moved to Canada for not meeting the RO of 730 days. I have spent little over 2 months here so far and there has not been any change since we entered.
We plan to settle here. I am sponsoring my daughter because she is dependent on me, this way her status will stay valid and she will have the Health coverage instead of private insurance.
It is unlikely you will be able to sponsor your child until your ability to retain your PR has been determined. Without meeting your RO you knew you were putting your family’s status at risk.

Just looked back on previous posts and you have already been told this. There are consequences for not meeting RO.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, I was given 44(1) at the port of entry when I moved to Canada for not meeting the RO of 730 days.
My understanding is that they will NOT process a sponsorship application by someone with an open 44(1) report, it will simply be suspended (on hold). I doubt there is any way to qualify for healthcare coverage for the child in the interim, but that may depend on province and their requirements. I presume you do not have a PR card either which will be required in some provinces.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that you also need to reapply for a new health card if you applied for one when you did a soft landing. You need to meet a residency requirement or else you don’t qualify for healthcare and need to reapply.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My understanding is that they will NOT process a sponsorship application by someone with an open 44(1) report, it will simply be suspended (on hold).
Putting this here for reference to others: with a 44(1) report open, it WILL be suspended - there is no ambiguity about this.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-20.html#docCont

See 136 -
"Suspension during proceedings against sponsor or co-signer

• 136 (1) If any of the following proceedings are brought against a sponsor or co-signer, the sponsorship application shall not be processed until there has been a final determination of the proceeding:
    • (a) the revocation of citizenship under the Citizenship Act;
    • (b) a report prepared under subsection 44(1) of the Act; or
    • (c) a charge alleging the commission of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least 10 years."

Now note: this does NOT state what will happen for an applicant who is out of compliance with the RO but against whom no proceedings have been initiated.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Why did you not provide this critical information when you post your question?
Most province won't cover visitor that's still in the process of being sponsored. But it's specific to the province that you are settling. (which again you didn't mention)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why did you not provide this critical information when you post your question?
Most province won't cover visitor that's still in the process of being sponsored. But it's specific to the province that you are settling. (which again you didn't mention)
Would add that sponsorship doesn’t give someone implied status so you’ll have to attempt to keep extending her visitor status. Get a lawyer this is a mess.

Reactions: armoured and YVR123