+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of language proficiency

gcardozo

Aug 7, 2010
Hello! I plan to apply using Skilled Worker application for permanent resident and had a question regarding the proof of language proficiency (English language)

I have a Masters degree from USA university and have answered the TOEFL exam (for English proficeincy) and GMAT exam in 2005. Is TOEFL accepted? I would like to know whether I would still be required to take a new exam since my last exam was taken more than 1 year ago. I have worked in USA and would like to know whether this requirement could be waived in my Skilled Worker application for permanent resident.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

tamkah

Jun 11, 2010
gcardozo said:
Hello! I plan to apply using Skilled Worker application for permanent resident and had a question regarding the proof of language proficiency (English language)

I have a Masters degree from USA university and have answered the TOEFL exam (for English proficeincy) and GMAT exam in 2005. Is TOEFL accepted? I would like to know whether I would still be required to take a new exam since my last exam was taken more than 1 year ago. I have worked in USA and would like to know whether this requirement could be waived in my Skilled Worker application for permanent resident.

According to canada immigration website, you must either take IELTS or CELPIP to get points for language requirement.
website information:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/factor-language.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

rKo

Apr 7, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes, you must take the test...

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
The letter of language proficiency as a replacement for IETLS/CELPIP used to exist for those from English speaking like UK, US, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, etc, but everyone else had to generally do IELTS/CELPIP.

Unfortunately, with the new rules, everyone has to do IELTS or CELPIP.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gcardozo said:

You need to take language proficiency test. There is no exemption from the test now.