+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Funds - Bank won't issue any letter

helderico

Feb 22, 2017
Hey guys.

I've recently been invited to apply, and I am currently trying to get the proof of funds sorted out.
I have the amount of necessary money in my personal bank account.

I contacted my bank manager, asking for a letter with the info CIC is requesting: account number, date it was opened, balance over the last six months, printed on their letterhead and etc.

The manager said they are not allowed to issue any "customized letter" such as that, and offered me some documents I could use as proof of funds:

- A copy of the contract I signed when I opened the account, so it's a proof of when it was opened
- A pre-made statement that I, as their client, have no outstanding debts
- Detailed statements of my account over the past six months

I reckon the first two documents can be used. They both have signings/stamps from bank employees, and they certainly look "official".
The problem lies within the detailed statements. They are absolutely HUGE. Like 20 pages long of, frankly, mostly irrelevant data.

Since they are in portuguese, I will have to get them translated, and let me tell you guys that official translations are really expensive here in Brazil.
There is no way I can get a document with just the balance for each month, or the average for the last six months. I can either get the current balance, or the completely detailed statements.
And to make matters worse, the bank won't sign these detailed statements, nor the document with current balance.

I was wondering if it would be acceptable for me to only translate the relevant lines in the detailed statements, and explain my reasoning through a Letter of Explanation. Or I can print each month's statement, and take a picture of the last lines (the ones that show how much money was deposited/credited and how much was left during that period), but I don't know, it sounds kinda fishy, like I'm trying to hide something from my statements.

What you experienced folks can say about this?
Should I go with the extraordinarily expensive translations with no signing/stamp (meaning, they could be rejected anyway), or should I be cute and translate only the most important parts, with a top-notch LoE to justify this?

Reactions: flaviabass

hasan.hadi

Sep 24, 2015
Baghdad
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28/2/2017
Nomination.....
12/4/2017
i believe "Detailed statements of my account over the past six months" will be enough as POF

helderico

Feb 22, 2017
hasan.hadi said:
i believe "Detailed statements of my account over the past six months" will be enough as POF
Well, that's reassuring, thanks for the reply :D
But the fact that it is gonna be incredibly expensive is still a problem for me, though ;/

flaviabass

Feb 9, 2018
Hey guys.

I've recently been invited to apply, and I am currently trying to get the proof of funds sorted out.

I contacted my bank manager, asking for a letter with the info CIC is requesting: account number, date it was opened, balance over the last six months, printed on their letterhead and etc.

The manager said they are not allowed to issue any "customized letter" such as that, and offered me some documents I could use as proof of funds:

- A copy of the contract I signed when I opened the account, so it's a proof of when it was opened

I reckon the first two documents can be used. They both have signings/stamps from bank employees, and they certainly look "official".
The problem lies within the detailed statements. They are absolutely HUGE. Like 20 pages long of, frankly, mostly irrelevant data.

Since they are in portuguese, I will have to get them translated, and let me tell you guys that official translations are really expensive here in Brazil.
There is no way I can get a document with just the balance for each month, or the average for the last six months. I can either get the current balance, or the completely detailed statements.
And to make matters worse, the bank won't sign these detailed statements, nor the document with current balance.

I was wondering if it would be acceptable for me to only translate the relevant lines in the detailed statements, and explain my reasoning through a Letter of Explanation. Or I can print each month's statement, and take a picture of the last lines (the ones that show how much money was deposited/credited and how much was left during that period), but I don't know, it sounds kinda fishy, like I'm trying to hide something from my statements.

Should I go with the extraordinarily expensive translations with no signing/stamp (meaning, they could be rejected anyway), or should I be cute and translate only the most important parts, with a top-notch LoE to justify this?
Hello, helderico!
I'm Brazilian too and I had a similar problem, but finally got my letters from two banks (BB and Santander) yesterday!
Firstly, I asked the managers if they could give me this letter and they refused it, claiming that they are not allowed to give any customised letter on behalf of the bank. Then, as I had been previously instructed, I showed them that there's a regulation from the Central Bank (google "resolução banco central 2.835" to find it) saying that NO BANK can deny the client a declaration containing this kind of information.
I had printed this resolution beforehand and even highlighted the main points. So I asked them to (please!!!) consider doing what I was asking or I would have to ask the Central Bank to infere... but it would be time consuming and bad for the bank's reputation (When the central bank interferes they file a request and contact the bank, making it provide the requested letter within 10 days).
Fortunately, both managers accepted to include the information I needed (in the standard version of the letter) and now I'm going to translate just these letters (I asked them to sign the letters in English but they wouldn't do it and I didn't want to insist).

Oh, and BB was much easier than Santander (Santander only gave me the letter after 3 business days and after receiving an authorisation from their legal department).
I hope it helps! Wish you the best of luck!

Flavia.

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hello, helderico!
I'm Brazilian too and I had a similar problem, but finally got my letters from two banks (BB and Santander) yesterday!
Firstly, I asked the managers if they could give me this letter and they refused it, claiming that they are not allowed to give any customised letter on behalf of the bank. Then, as I had been previously instructed, I showed them that there's a regulation from the Central Bank (google "resolução banco central 2.835" to find it) saying that NO BANK can deny the client a declaration containing this kind of information.
I had printed this resolution beforehand and even highlighted the main points. So I asked them to (please!!!) consider doing what I was asking or I would have to ask the Central Bank to infere... but it would be time consuming and bad for the bank's reputation (When the central bank interferes they file a request and contact the bank, making it provide the requested letter within 10 days).
Fortunately, both managers accepted to include the information I needed (in the standard version of the letter) and now I'm going to translate just these letters (I asked them to sign the letters in English but they wouldn't do it and I didn't want to insist).

Oh, and BB was much easier than Santander (Santander only gave me the letter after 3 business days and after receiving an authorisation from their legal department).

Flavia.
Hi Flavia, that post was over an year ago but the info would be of help to someone else for sure. Thanks for mentioning it in the forum.

Reactions: flaviabass

flaviabass

Feb 9, 2018
Hi Flavia, that post was over an year ago but the info would be of help to someone else for sure. Thanks for mentioning it in the forum.
Wow! I hadn't realized that, thank you for letting me know.
I hope it can be useful to other Brazilians in the future.

moniquemansur

May 3, 2018
Wow! I hadn't realized that, thank you for letting me know.
I hope it can be useful to other Brazilians in the future.
Hi Flavia, thank you for your information! It was helpul for me. I'll do what you did because I'm pretty sure I'll have problems with the bank because of the letter.

lealfs

Sep 22, 2019
Hello, helderico!

Flavia.
Thanks for the info, it helped me today! So you just attached the bank letters + translations on your application? How did it go?

Best

lealfs

Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys.

So you've only attached the 2 letters?

Postiglioni

Oct 3, 2019
Hello, helderico!

Flavia.
Hi Flavia, I´m Brazilian too.
Você mandou traduzir os 6 últimos extratos mensais?
Conseguimos as cartas com os nossos bancos mas estamos em duvida se mandamos o extratos em português ou mandamos traduzir.
Como vcs fizeram?
Bj