+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of employment - Express Entry

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
I've been going through the completeness check page to build a thorough understanding of the entire EE paperwork process, things seem to be all clear except for proof of employment. My questions:
  • I asked my previous US employer for a letter back in November 2017, they sent me a 2-liner letter just certifying that I worked for them from July 2012 to December 2013, no details whatsoever. The letter has the header of a company that purchased the company I worked for after my departure, it is signed but not dated and states the address and phone number of the purchasing company (which has a different name than the company I worked for). The person who signed it is not my superviser (he left), and I don't even know the person who signed: is there a chance the letter would qualify as proof of employment?
  • The completeness check page only mentions a letter from the employer, could CIC ask for other documentation such as pay statements, bank statements, tax papers, any other? if so would the statements be required for the entire work period? what if I lost some?
  • I had a 17 month full time work experience as a software engineer, followed by a 3-year break, followed by another 18-month full time work experience in the same field, both experiences are outside Canada. I read somewhere that work experience has to be continuous, does that mean I cannot combine my 2 work experiences? and if so does that translate in the application form to a 1-year work experience?
Thanks in advance.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
1. No it doesn't qualify. The letter has to contain job descriptions. That's how IRCC can verify your NOC.
2. Potentially they could. But you should focus on getting a proper reference letter first.
3. You can claim 35 months. The "continuous experience" only refers to the minimum one year requirement.

Reactions: ALTN

ALTN

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Thanks for taking my questions.

1. Nobody from the people I knew and worked with stayed in the company (it's been 5 years) and the new board stopped responding. However I do have a letter of job offer with job description + original contract + contract extension + pay statements + bank statements, could any of these compensate (I've 4 or 5 lost pay statements)?
2. See above
3. Just one more precision: what date marks the end of the month count for work experience: the date I entered the EE pool or the date I submit my papers?

Last edited: