File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
It's not clear what stage of the application you are at - expression of interest? Application for FSW?

If you are completing the online expression of interest - you can safely leave out experience that is more than 10 years old.

Completing the EE Profile (Expression of Interest)
- For CRS points - no extra points for more than 3 years of foreign work experience.
- You only need to include information on work experience that you can document and claim points. At this stage, it does not have to be "complete."

For FSW Program points/requirements: Only work experience in the past 10 years is considered.
For CEC Program requirements- only the past 3 years are considered.

Submitting an Application:
If you receive an ITA and you plain submit a complete application, there IS a form where you have to list ALL work experience - it must be complete. But you will only have to provide documentation (Letters, etc.) for the experience in the EE profile...

I realize that when CIC "simplified" the online instructions, they made the requirement about the "past 10 years" hard to find -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp

The applicant’s skilled work experience must also...
have occurred within the ten years preceding the date of their application for permanent residence...

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Oh I didn't realise this. Does it say somewhere on the CIC website about this? I guess they would take the most recent 3 year and look at that?

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Ah thanks for explaining this jes_ON. I've not seen this page on the CIC website stating the past 10 years. It is a bit confusing though - I'm applying for PR via the FSW through Express Entry. The work experience section does ask for all work history for submitting after an ITA. But then if they're only assessing you for the past 10 years of employment, then do I need to provide proof of employment for the times beyond 10 years - it is proving a bit challenging since many employers here don't hold certain details like pay etc beyond the past 7 years.

chad_80

Star Member
Aug 25, 2014
Mississauga, ON
NOC Code......
miss_mp said:
Ah thanks for explaining this jes_ON. I've not seen this page on the CIC website stating the past 10 years. It is a bit confusing though - I'm applying for PR via the FSW through Express Entry. The work experience section does ask for all work history for submitting after an ITA. But then if they're only assessing you for the past 10 years of employment, then do I need to provide proof of employment for the times beyond 10 years - it is proving a bit challenging since many employers here don't hold certain details like pay etc beyond the past 7 years.
Enter the ones you want to gain points for in the work history. You need to provide the documents only for those. The rest you can add in the personal history section.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks Chad_80. I'm trying to gain as much points as I can, since I took a career break a few years ago from the NOC that's I'm applying under. But the personal history is only for the past 10 years, so some of them (the ones harder to get employment details for) won't fit into the personal history section. But will try to gather as much as I can even though it's not got everything they're requesting for like hours and salary.

EAYOSHO

Dec 2, 2014
Hello there,

I started job in 2012 to date and in all I have 3 years work experience including maternity period. My job contract ended after my 2nd year of experience in 2014 and then I was heavily pregnant and as a result of that I could not start another job immediately until after the maternity period however, I started a new job immediately after my maternity period. Can I include the maternity period as part of my 3 years experience because in reality the years of physical work is not up to 3 years but 2 years + because of the maternity period. I discussed with my new employer about including my maternity leave period (with a proof) that I had before I started the new job with him and he agreed to back date my employment date to cover my maternity period. Will this be alright?

Should I send an inquiry to CIC before accepting the ITA or should I decline the ITA?

Anyone with clarification and insight please comment. Thanks all.

JoacRy

Champion Member
Oct 23, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EAYOSHO said:
Hello there,

I started job in 2012 to date and in all I have 3 years work experience including maternity period. My job contract ended after my 2nd year of experience in 2014 and then I was heavily pregnant and as a result of that I could not start another job immediately until after the maternity period however, I started a new job immediately after my maternity period. Can I include the maternity period as part of my 3 years experience because in reality the years of physical work is not up to 3 years but 2 years + because of the maternity period. I discussed with my new employer about including my maternity leave period (with a proof) that I had before I started the new job with him and he agreed to back date my employment date to cover my maternity period. Will this be alright?

Should I send an inquiry to CIC before accepting the ITA or should I decline the ITA?

You cannot claim CRS points for your 'Maternity Leave' period. CIC has a very strict definition of what constitutes working hours where they define a full-time working week as 30 hrs. As you were at home preparing for your pregnancy you were not at work (regardless of whether you were paid for you maternity leave). It requires you to be in the office accumulating Working hours.

My source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Full Time

30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Part time

15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
OR
30 hours/week for 12 months at more than one job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.