+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of citizenship questions

Bbbkkk

Jun 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am gonna apply for proof of citizenship and I've got probably some dumb questions about the form...

1. Immediately after I select "no" to a question, should I leave the rest of the boxes in blank? or should I fill them with N/A's? since CIC strictly says not to leave anything in blank

2.) List any other names (include current or former married name(s), alianses and nick names. I I have never gotten a nick name what should I write? same in my dad's and mom's case..

3.) In section 7 they ask for my grandparents, my grandfather got his citizenship when my dad was 15 years old, if parent 1 was born outside canada, was one of parent 1's parents (i.e your grandparents) a Canadian citizen and/or a Crown servant of Canada at the time of this parent's birth or adoption? There's no box to answer this question, following this they ask was parent 1 born outside Canada? and Was one of your grandparents Canadian?
Do they refer at the time of my parent 1s birth?

And, the last question, if my country doesn't have any province, should I write N/A on the province box?

I would really appreciate if you'd help me, thanks for your time!

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I am gonna apply for proof of citizenship and I've got probably some dumb questions about the form...

1. Immediately after I select "no" to a question, should I leave the rest of the boxes in blank? or should I fill them with N/A's? since CIC strictly says not to leave anything in blank

2.) List any other names (include current or former married name(s), alianses and nick names. I I have never gotten a nick name what should I write? same in my dad's and mom's case..

3.) In section 7 they ask for my grandparents, my grandfather got his citizenship when my dad was 15 years old, if parent 1 was born outside canada, was one of parent 1's parents (i.e your grandparents) a Canadian citizen and/or a Crown servant of Canada at the time of this parent's birth or adoption? There's no box to answer this question, following this they ask was parent 1 born outside Canada? and Was one of your grandparents Canadian?
Do they refer at the time of my parent 1s birth?

And, the last question, if my country doesn't have any province, should I write N/A on the province box?

I would really appreciate if you'd help me, thanks for your time!

1) Correct...leave the other boxes blank.

2) Write N/A, which means "not applicable."

3) How did your parents (one or both) become Canadian citizens? Were they born in Canada? Were they naturalized? Where were you born, and how did you become a Canadian citizen? Please explain, so I can tell you how to answer that question.

Reactions: Bbbkkk

Bbbkkk

Jun 2, 2018
My father is Canadian, my mother isn't. He was naturalized, I was born in Venezuela and since I'm his daughter

Bbbkkk

Jun 2, 2018
I called the consular officer to ask about the pictures, and she told me that it wasn't necessary to add ANY information in the back of the photos... Not even my name, should I add all the information anyway?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My father is Canadian, my mother isn't. He was naturalized, I was born in Venezuela and since I'm his daughter
In section 7, if your father was naturalized as a Canadian citizen before you were born, then answer the questions pertaining to him, including his Canadian citizenship number. If his father (your grandfather) was also a Canadian citizen, answer the questions pertaining to him.

There is no box after the question about Crown service, because there is a larger box where you would enter that information lower down, if applicable. If things are not applicable, put N/A in those spots.

For your mother, who is not Canadian, you do not have to answer questions about her parents.

The instructions for the photos are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-application-photograph-specifications.html Follow those instructions.

Bbbkkk

Jun 2, 2018
In section 7, if your father was naturalized as a Canadian citizen before you were born, then answer the questions pertaining to him, including his Canadian citizenship number. If his father (your grandfather) was also a Canadian citizen, answer the questions pertaining to him.

There is no box after the question about Crown service, because there is a larger box where you would enter that information lower down, if applicable. If things are not applicable, put N/A in those spots.

For your mother, who is not Canadian, you do not have to answer questions about her parents.

The instructions for the photos are here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-application-photograph-specifications.html Follow those instructions.
Wait even if my grandfather wasn't a citizen at the time of my dad's birth? and I did read the photos specifications, that's why I'm surprised about her answer
Sorry if I'm too paranoid :(

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry...you do not have to give your grandfather's information if he was not a Canadian citizen at the time of your father's birth. Just answer "no."

raechel303

Jun 5, 2018
Hi there! Wondering if anyone here has some information on the timeline for an Application for Certificate of Citizenship (proof of citizenship). We sent our application to Sydney one month ago for our minor child. We used a courier service from the US, so we know if was signed for and received. I'm feeling nervous we have not received an AOR from IRCC yet. It's a straight forward case of our child having a father who is a Canadian citizen by birth. Thanks so much!