+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Proof of Canadian Degree for EE has to be the official diploma?

elvinchang

Jan 24, 2023
Does EE accept graduation letter and transcript as proof of Canadian degree?

Can anyone show me where on IRCC website says they only accept the official diploma? I'm requesting the diploma prior to convocation from my school and I need to show them the requirement.

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
You may provide everything. Also provide a LOE if you are not able to submit a diploma in time.

elvinchang

Jan 24, 2023
The IRCC doesn't say that clearly. I provided ECA/My Diploma and Transcripts in one PDF
Thank you. I have graduated, but my diploma can only be given to me on my convocation, which is in June.. So I asked my school, but they asked me to provide the requirement from IRCC.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Thank you. I have graduated, but my diploma can only be given to me on my convocation, which is in June.. So I asked my school, but they asked me to provide the requirement from IRCC.
Copying one of my previous answers:

For those of you who are here, I was in your position after I graduated. I went to immigration lawyer and he advised me not to apply until I get my diploma. However, in 2021 there was a court that ruled that it's not reasonable to reject based on not providing diploma.

https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/513882/index.do

Personally, if I had to do all over again, I would wait for my diploma. I think it's a dumb rule as Canadian diplomas is just a piece of paper and transcripts are way more important but here we are...

elvinchang

Jan 24, 2023
Copying one of my previous answers:

For those of you who are here, I was in your position after I graduated. I went to immigration lawyer and he advised me not to apply until I get my diploma. However, in 2021 there was a court that ruled that it's not reasonable to reject based on not providing diploma.

https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/513882/index.do

Personally, if I had to do all over again, I would wait for my diploma. I think it's a dumb rule as Canadian diplomas is just a piece of paper and transcripts are way more important but here we are...
Thank you so much! That's why I'm requesting my diploma. But do you know if IRCC website specifies they only accept diploma? I can't find the specific requirement on their website. I need to provide it to my school so they can consider giving me the diploma.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Thank you so much! That's why I'm requesting my diploma. But do you know if IRCC website specifies they only accept diploma? I can't find the specific requirement on their website. I need to provide it to my school so they can consider giving me the diploma.
I am on my phone unfortunately but if you google “ircc Canadian education proof”, it will take you to a page with “proof of studies” paragraph. It will state something like “can include copies of diplomas/degrees and transcripts”. With that being said, I doubt that you will convince your school to skip the line but you can always try.

elvinchang

Jan 24, 2023
I am on my phone unfortunately but if you google “ircc Canadian education proof”, it will take you to a page with “proof of studies” paragraph. It will state something like “can include copies of diplomas/degrees and transcripts”. With that being said, I doubt that you will convince your school to skip the line but you can always try.
Yeah, here's what I found:
  • Proof of completed Canadian or foreign educational credentials can include copies of
    • secondary or post-secondary education documents (certificates, diplomas or degrees); and
    • transcripts for successfully completed secondary or post-secondary studies, if available
It says "certificates, diplomas or degrees". The graduation letter says the degree has been granted. So my school thinks it's sufficient.

D

Deleted member 1083629

Yeah, here's what I found:
  • Proof of completed Canadian or foreign educational credentials can include copies of
    • secondary or post-secondary education documents (certificates, diplomas or degrees); and
    • transcripts for successfully completed secondary or post-secondary studies, if available
It says "certificates, diplomas or degrees". The graduation letter says the degree has been granted. So my school thinks it's sufficient.
Exactly and thus, they will force you to wait until May. You can try to apply with LoE and in LoE, you can cite the federal court case I provided and that might work.