+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

program deferred while on a break (Covid-19)

Z_ack

Mar 3, 2019
Hello,

I'm a student on a break, I finished my first program in Dec2019, and was supposed to start my next program in May 2020. My college has deferred my program to Sep 2020.

Now, by the law of PGWP I'm allowed to take a break of not more than 150 days (~5 months) between two semesters (or programs). In this case I will be on 8 months break.

Anyone on the same boat?
how should I deal with this in my situation?
Is this against the law, or I should assume it's an exception due to Covid-19 situation?
Am I allowed to work, 20hrs? or +20hrs?

Thank you,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I'm a student on a break, I finished my first program in Dec2019, and was supposed to start my next program in May 2020. My college has deferred my program to Sep 2020.

Now, by the law of PGWP I'm allowed to take a break of not more than 150 days (~5 months) between two semesters (or programs). In this case I will be on 8 months break.

Anyone on the same boat?
Is this against the law, or I should assume it's an exception due to Covid-19 situation?

Thank you,
Don't assume there is any exception. If nothing is posted by IRCC, assume the rules are the same.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.

Reactions: johnnorthtest

Z_ack

Mar 3, 2019
Don't assume there is any exception. If nothing is posted by IRCC, assume the rules are the same.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

If the new program of study starts more than 150 calendar days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their current institution, the student is eligible to work off campus only during the first 150 consecutive days after the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion. They should then either apply to change their status (for instance, change it into visitor status) or leave Canada until their new program commences.
Thank you for the clear answer.

Now if I apply for a visitor visa and wait for my program to start, will this affect on my PGWP later on?

Usually they allow 4 months break between two programs, but in my case the break will be 8 months (4 months between two programs, +4 months because program deferred)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Now if I apply for a visitor visa and wait for my program to start, will this affect on my PGWP later on?

Usually they allow 4 months break between two programs, but in my case the break will be 8 months (4 months between two programs, +4 months because program deferred)
No one can answer that except IRCC and they haven't said anything yet.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Your situation seems very complicated. You are applying for a study permit extension and are also working. Is this correct? When did you apply for the extension?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
They will probably make exceptions in cases like this but we cant know for sure. When you apply for PGWP make sure to include an explanation letter and supporting evidence from your school.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Your situation seems very complicated. You are applying for a study permit extension and are also working. Is this correct? When did you apply for the extension?
Not complicated at all. OP was accepted to another program and therefore is allowed to work full-time during the first 150 days of the break, even if waiting for a study permit extension.

Z_ack

Mar 3, 2019
I did apply in first January. The study permit and SIN expired in March. I totally forgot about my SIN, but then how can I renew my SIN without the study permit :S.
The study permit just got accepted and will take a week at least to reach, plus Service Canada is closed and the only way to apply is by mail (another 20 business days if you're lucky)

The situation is so messed up

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I did apply in first January. The study permit and SIN expired in March. I totally forgot about my SIN, but then how can I renew my SIN without the study permit :S.
The study permit just got accepted and will take a week at least to reach, plus Service Canada is closed and the only way to apply is by mail (another 20 business days if you're lucky)

The situation is so messed up
You can continue to work on your expired SIN.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The time between programs will now be over 150 days so work should not be possible unless some new exceptions have been posted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They can still work during the first 150 days of the break.
Assume OP can justify their work until they got an email from their college informing them that their course would be deferred. Once they got the email OP would realize that they no longer meet the 150 day period between classes and should stop working. May have missed something but I am under the impression that you can only work if the break between courses is 150 days not you can work the first 150 days.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Assume OP can justify their work until they got an email from their college informing them that their course would be deferred. Once they got the email OP would realize that they no longer meet the 150 day period between classes and should stop working. May have missed something but I am under the impression that you can only work if the break between courses is 150 days not you can work the first 150 days.
Your impression is incorrect. Read my first response in this thread.

Shubham.srp

May 2, 2020
Hello,

Anyone on the same boat?

Thank you,
yes I am on same boat buddy, did you found any other solution than apply for visitor record. My college immigration consultant wants to apply for visitor record.