+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Processing time?- Online work permit application from USA

jw1313

Sep 5, 2014
Trying to get a ballpark estimate of how long processing times take. CIC's current estimate appears to be 5 months for the NY office but wanted to hear others experiences. My relevant information is below. FWIW I am quite frustrated with CIC as they give ambiguous or conflicting information on their website and provide absolutely no avenues for having basic questions answered.

I was offered job in early May, received a positive LMO in late June, and submitted a work permit application for me and an open work permit application for my wife in the first week of July.

Are there others from the US who have recently gone through this process? How long did it take? Were you required to undergo a medical exam or submit any additional documentation? Also does anyone know if submitting an application online speeds up the processing times (or the reverse)? Finally if I submitted an online application from the East Coast will it be processed at the nearest visa office (New York)?

Am a bit anxious about the move and would like to have a better idea of when things will get sorted out. My wife has managed to get several job interviews but employers seem to want someone to start immediately and without an open work permit she seems to be at a bit of a disadvantage.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you American (i.e. US passport holder)? If so, it would be a heck of a lot faster to take your job offer and approved LMO and obtain your work permit as you enter Canada (either land border or airport).

jw1313

Sep 5, 2014
Yes I am. Do you mind explaining in a bit more detail or providing a link where I can find more details? You can just have a work permit processed/issued at the border itself?

jw1313

Sep 5, 2014
Also I don't know what you mean as I enter Canada. My understanding is that I can't buy/rent property, open a bank account etc until the work permit is approved...

Oct 27, 2014
Hello,

I'm exactly in the same situation, except I'm Spanish. I live in the US and I applied for the work permit online on September 26, 2014. I'm starting to get worried as well. The information provided in the 'processing times' website is quite confusing, and the lack of feedback is frustrating. Have you received your visa by now? Any hint would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
jw1313 said:
Yes I am. Do you mind explaining in a bit more detail or providing a link where I can find more details? You can just have a work permit processed/issued at the border itself?
Yes - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/work-temp.asp

Scroll down to "Some workers can apply at a port of entry." You are eligible...

akoyama

May 1, 2015
Hi condedelaumbria,

Could you tell me when you received a working permit from CIC?

I am in the same situation as you were; I am Japanese living in the US, and applied for a Canadian working permit online. My online application was submitted on April 2, 2015, and a month has passed with no response from CIC. My supervisor and I are getting worried about the process because my project is starting in Canada.

I appreciate if you can address my question. Thank you in advance.