+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Problem in data uploading after a name change

humble_sukh

Feb 4, 2018
India
Hello everyone,

A couple of years ago, I changed my name from "Gurpreet Singh" to "Gurpreet Singh Brar" and subsequently applied for passport with the new name and got it issued, too. However, all my educational certificates still have my old name i.e. "Gurpreet Singh" only.

Now, recently, I applied for permanent residency under express entry and have my ITA issued on December 2018. But when I took to the online portal of canadian immigration to upload proofs againt the ITA, I got into a very tricky situation.

There is a field called "Have you ever used any other names?" As I was known as "Gurpreet Singh" (no last/family name) before changing to my new name. I have answered the above question as "YES". And after putting "YES" in the box, it asks my previous first name(s) and last name(s). Now as I did not have any last name before, so I cannot enter anything in the last name column and when I try to submit it after entering "Gurpreet Singh" under first name(s) box, it says that I cannot keep the box of last name(s) blank.

After checking for online help I found a link as http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=014&top=4 where the following is said:
If you do not have a family name on your passport, travel or identity document, enter all your given name(s) in the surname field and leave the given name field blank. Do not enter “Not applicable,” “*” or “NA.”

Now, when I tried to write my entire old name under last name(s) section and keept first name(s) section blank, it again says that first name(s) section cannot be kept blank.

This is ridiculous. It seems, I am unable to get it through without making a mistake (in the eyes of canadian immigration staff).

Can anyone please guide how to solve this riddle?
Please help. Thank you.

thinkingtoapply

Star Member
Sep 13, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
I THINK,
If all your education documents have Gurpreet Singh, they considered Singh as last name in those documents. Cos even those documents require last names. So accordingly, in my opinion, you can enter Gurpreet in given name and Singh in last name. Once you do this and complete all the other required fields, You will be asked to attach a name change document on the next page. In that, you can attach a letter of explanation along with a name change affidavit, explaining your situation on name change.
Hope this helps

Reactions: humble_sukh

humble_sukh

Feb 4, 2018
India
I THINK,
If all your education documents have Gurpreet Singh, they considered Singh as last name in those documents. Cos even those documents require last names. So accordingly, in my opinion, you can enter Gurpreet in given name and Singh in last name. Once you do this and complete all the other required fields, You will be asked to attach a name change document on the next page. In that, you can attach a letter of explanation along with a name change affidavit, explaining your situation on name change.
Hope this helps
Thabk you so much. Logically this seems correct.