+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previously held PR

Sep 9, 2024
My father applied for PR in 2000 and my family were PR holders. Back in 2009, we came back to Pakistan and later did not renew our PR or accept citizenship. I was too young to have any say in my family's decision and had to come back. My question is what are my options to tackle this situation? Can I appeal my case or should I revoke my PR. It has been more than 15 years.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My father applied for PR in 2000 and my family were PR holders. Back in 2009, we came back to Pakistan and later did not renew our PR or accept citizenship. I was too young to have any say in my family's decision and had to come back. My question is what are my options to tackle this situation? Can I appeal my case or should I revoke my PR. It has been more than 15 years.
How old are you now?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am 26 now.
You can try, if you wish, to retain the PR status by applying for a PRTD with explanation that you were 'removed as a minor' (this is the term used).

But as noted, there are a number of factors that they'll look at (ties to Canada, etc) - and the usual expectation is that someone removed as a minor would try to return relatively soon after legally becoming an adult or 'as soon as able' (if some other relevant constraints).

Chances might be low, even quite low, but probably not zero.

If you want to travel to Canada while this is being looked at, though (and it might take a while) - you'd likely have to renounce to get a visa.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have two options. Neither are good. If you have a high Express Entry score, you should formally renounce your PR and reapply for PR through this program or one of the PNP programs.

If you want to try to save your PR status then you need to try one of the following:

- Apply for a PRTD under H&C. This is essentially guaranteed to be refused. Then appeal the decision. Appeals generally take a couple of years. Overall this path is unlikely to be success given your age and how long it's been since you were in Canada.
- Obtain a US visa and fly to the US. Re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle and hope you are not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement. If you are not reported, live in Canada for two straight years without leaving and then apply to renew your PR card. If you are reported, you will be allowed to enter Canada but will need to appeal the loss of your PR status. One of the challenges of this approach is that you may be in Canada for 2+ years without health care coverage and may also have trouble obtaining a driver's license. You will be able to work as long as you obtained a SIN when you were here as a child. If not, then working will be an issue too.