+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Previous Addresses,, Request for Police Clearance

NK

Aug 31, 2007
The Manila Visa office requested my wifes passport, plus FBI, and California State fingerprints. She is a Japanese citizen who lived in California from 95-96. I didnt include the USA police clearances because the 10 year period has expired as according to the "Guide". Is this a mistake? And should I contact the visa office about this?

Also, the letter indicates to return all the required documents within 45 days of the letters date to avoid processing delays. The letter is dated Dec 20th 2007, postmarked Jan 8 2008, and arrived to us in Tokyo Jan 13 2008. Im not confident I will be able to request fingerprint cards from the U.S to be mailed to us in Tokyo / get prints of my wife done in Tokyo / mail them back to the U.S / have them sent back to Tokyo / finally mailing them to Manila by the week of Feb 4th.

Initially we were planning on doing an In Canada Application and had the FBI and California clearances done in May 2006. I have both documents in my possession. The address they contain is my previous address in Canada. Can I submit these? or have they "expired"? I only didnt because the 10 year period has ended.

Im trying to relocate back to Canada by the end of May with my family,, ideally I dont want to delay processing because of insufficient documents.. I thought I had all forms in order.. Any advice?

Thanks for the help as always,

NK

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You need the police clearances. The 10 year period has to do with qualifications, not police records. You should contact them and tell them you're in the process of obtaining them. Hopefully that will be ok.

You don't need to request fingerprint cards from the U.S. The FBI website has a downloadable fingerprint card for you to use.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

Just print it out and get the fingerprints done in Japan. To expedite the FBI check, you should
1) send it to the FBI via courier and write "please expedite" on the outside of the envelope - include your 'due by' date
2) write "please expedite" on the request letter itself, and include your 'due by' date
3) enclose a pre-paid courier envelope of some sort.
The FBI won't accept a credit card number to bill return shipping, so you have to provide the postage either in stamps or by using an account number. When I did this, I had to obtain a FedEx account number for myself. The FBI then FedEx'd my police record back.

Police certificates are only valid for 6 months. So yours have expired.

NK

Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for the help.

This process will take much longer than I would like,, the California Dept. of Justice wont accept the FBI downloaded fingerprint card,, so the original must be ordered from them. (I think,, couldnt get a direct answer while speaking with them)

I will contact Manila and advise them of my situation as you suggested,,
Thanks again,,
nk

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
You know, most U.S. consulates and embassies can do your fingerprints for you. They have the forms, too. It's not cheap, but since you're concerned about time, maybe it's something to consider.

NK

Aug 31, 2007
I explored that option earlier today,, .. but they route everything dealing with fingerprinting back to FBI in the US now. The Tokyo USA Embassy that is,

Thanks

NK

Aug 31, 2007
Sorry I was unclear,

What I meant was that the Embassy no longer does fingerprinting services, according to their website.