Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
philgoodhusband said:
Hi guys, new here but I kind of have a similar problem.

I am currently waiting for my PR to be processed (my wife is a PR and is sponsoring me). We are anticipating the PR to be granted this spring, and I hope to have joined her in Vancouver by April.

I have a cousin getting married in the US in July and we have already booked roundtrip tickets from Vancouver for it. We felt it was a safe bet that I would already be in Vancouver by then based on others' timelines in our VO.

We plan to be in the US for the weekend of the wedding only so applying and waiting for a PRTD from there won't make sense. In case I am in fact based in Vancouver already and don't have my PR card yet (which is looking likely based on stories here), do I have other options to make the wedding and get back to Vancouver right after?

I was wondering if there was anything I could do now while still waiting for my PR. I hold a non-VISA exempt passport and have traveled to Canada to be with my wife several times on a tourist VISA. That VISA just expired. I also hold a valid tourist VISA to the US.
To board a plane back to Canada you'll need a PR card or a PR Travel Doc. Those are your only 2 options. If you don't have one or the other, you won't be able to check into your flight.

If you don't have either of those, then you will need to fly to a US city close to the border, and drive into Canada. If driving all you need to show CBSA is your passport and COPR landing paper.

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
To board a plane back to Canada you'll need a PR card or a PR Travel Doc. Those are your only 2 options. If you don't have one or the other, you won't be able to check into your flight.

If you don't have either of those, then you will need to fly to a US city close to the border, and drive into Canada. If driving all you need to show CBSA is your passport and COPR landing paper.
Appreciate it! That's what I've gathered as well, and I suppose the simplest solution is to change the return flight to go to Seattle instead of Vancouver and then drive the rest of the way.

I was wondering if the group here thinks it would be a good idea to try to renew/re-apply for my tourist VISA now while awaiting permanent residency. Perhaps I can technically try to re-enter Canada using that instead of a PR card? Not sure it's worth the trouble; just checking if it's a legitimate option.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
philgoodhusband said:
Appreciate it! That's what I've gathered as well, and I suppose the simplest solution is to change the return flight to go to Seattle instead of Vancouver and then drive the rest of the way.

I was wondering if the group here thinks it would be a good idea to try to renew/re-apply for my tourist VISA now while awaiting permanent residency. Perhaps I can technically try to re-enter Canada using that instead of a PR card? Not sure it's worth the trouble; just checking if it's a legitimate option.
Does the eTA affect trains? If it's just the same as driving through the land border, you could take the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. I don't *think* an eTA is required to travel by train, but I really don't know for sure. I just thought it might be a good idea for you if you'd rather not drive and it turns out to be another viable option.

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Decoy24601 said:
Does the eTA affect trains? If it's just the same as driving through the land border, you could take the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. I don't *think* an eTA is required to travel by train, but I really don't know for sure. I just thought it might be a good idea for you if you'd rather not drive and it turns out to be another viable option.
I'm not sure whether or not the eTA is for air travel only, but from what I have read on the CIC website, it's only applicable for passport-holders of VISA-exempt countries. As I am a Philippine passport holder, it isn't an option for me. I would either need to get a visitor VISA again or have my permanent residency application processed. Below is the relevant text from CIC:

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
philgoodhusband said:
I'm not sure whether or not the eTA is for air travel only, but from what I have read on the CIC website, it's only applicable for passport-holders of VISA-exempt countries. As I am a Philippine passport holder, it isn't an option for me. I would either need to get a visitor VISA again or have my permanent residency application processed. Below is the relevant text from CIC:

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport.
Ah, I get what you're saying. I hope you're able to get it worked out :D

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fr33z3n said:
Im you can't get a visitor visa if you have your PR visa, as soon as you land with your PR visa, you are considered a landed immigrant and a permanent resident, what your suggesting can't be done.
Are you saying a Visitor VISA becomes invalidated once I land as a PR?

All these PR card complications slipped my mind when I booked the flights, so now I'm trying to figure out if there's a solution that doesn't involve having to rebook the flights.

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fr33z3n said:
Did you get your PPR or not yet? Did you get your Permanent resident visa?
I haven't yet. I have a pending PR application and had guessed it willhave been approved before the wedding in the US I am attending in July so I booked roundtrip tickets from Vancouver.

So I guess I can technically still apply for a Visitor VISA since mine just expired. I'm just not sure that 1) it will be approved or 2) it will be worth the trouble.

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I see. That's what I understood from your first response. I suppose that's not an option then, unless I am still not a PR by July. Thanks for clearing that up!

I guess the only remaining option really is to drive back to Canada since both the PR card and PRTD options look bleak at this point.

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
You still have to *land* as a PR, even if they put the COPR in your passport. You are not technically a PR until you land, where you leave Canada and come back to a port of entry and then go through the landing process.

philgoodhusband

Star Member
Feb 5, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Decoy24601 said:
You still have to *land* as a PR, even if they put the COPR in your passport. You are not technically a PR until you land, where you leave Canada and come back to a port of entry and then go through the landing process.
Indeed, all that's true. I am outside Canada now though so it's likely that the next time I am back there, I would in fact be "landing."

jmomcc

Star Member
May 29, 2014
Quick update:

I left and returned without the PR card. It seems like this is possible until march 15 (if visa exempt).

It was a piece of cake when back in Canada - the border official just scanned my passport - didn't even ask to see the COPR when I told him I didn't have a card yet.

The difficulty is getting on a plane. You need an ongoing ticket (I had one) and you will need to be evasive and not mention that you are a PR.