+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR travel document

gavani

Oct 20, 2011
Hi there,

I became a permanent resident last week on Oct. 13, 2011. I had travel plan arranged before I was noticed to have landing visa issued. I’m traveling to China and Hong Kong on Nov. 5th, 2011 and returning on Nov. 19th, 2011. I have been informed that in order to return back to Canada by flight I need to apply PR travel document if I don’t receive PR card before I travel. I have a few questions regarding to this issue.

[1] The immigration officer at the border told me that I can apply travel document in Buffalo, but in CIC website it indicates that travel document is only issued one-time entry. If I drive to Buffalo, can I use my landing paper to enter Canada and use that one-time entry travel document until Nov. 19th when I fly back to Canada?

[2] Do they offer one-day process time in Buffalo for PR travel document?

[2] Before I landed as permanent resident, I had 2-year closed work permit valid until May 2013. Can I still enter Canada by flight using that work permit? (I’m from visa-exempt country list; so no need for the entry visa)

Thanks!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are visa exempt, you do not actually need a travel document. You can enter as a PR using your landing documents.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gavani said:
You meant by flight, too?
Yes, the travel document is actually more for the airline than immigration. If you can enter without a travel document in a car, why not at the airport? Is it not the same kind of immigration officer standing in both places?

The airline or other commercial carrier you travel with (bus, train, ferry) is however responsible for their passangers so if you are not visa exempt to Canada, they want to see a visa or travel document to make sure you are allowed to enter Canada. Otherwise they may have to pay for your passage back.