+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Spousal Sponsorship Question

littlemiss28

Dec 8, 2014
Hi everyone

This is my first post here; I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am a Canadian citizen and I am sponsoring my fiance for permanent residency to Canada. We are getting married next year and then after the wedding I will be sponsoring him. He came to Canada on a student visa (we met as university students) and he was approved for a post-graduation work permit. He is now working. We have been dating for three years, and living together for almost two years, so I hope we will have an easy time with his PR application.

I'm writing hoping that some of you might be able to offer me advice and perhaps words of comfort, as this process has caused me a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety. I think that our application is mostly solid, but I'm concerned about a possible red flag. Basically, my fiance comes from a community where they practice very traditional arranged marriage, and since telling his parents that he is dating me (we are an inter-racial couple), his parents have had very little to do with us. They will not be attending the wedding (though his brother might) and we have a lot of documentation of e-mails and texts between my fiance and his parents discussing the relationship and how they refuse to accept it.

I am extremely anxious that this will cause problems with our PR application. His parents do not live here but I'm not sure if the CIC would want to call them or interview them in order to verify the legitimacy of our relationship. There is no way his parents would be open to any sort of interview process to support the sponsorship. I'm afraid that because his parents have had nothing to do with us and will not be attending the wedding, this will be a red flag and a hindrance to our application. Fortunately my family love my fiance and we have strong evidence of holiday cards/gifts given from my family to my fiance over the years; photos of numerous family events; e-mails and letters of support from family; and my parents are helping to pay for the wedding. However, I still have this terrible anxiety that our estrangement from my fiance's family will impede our PR application. My fiance keeps telling me I'm being ridiculous and I want to believe him. If any of you have words of encouragement and advice I would endlessly appreciate it.

All the best in your own immigration journeys!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Don't stress. They will not contact his parents and as long as you explained the situation, it won't have any negative effect on the app.