+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Rules

glider

Feb 25, 2013
Is it possible to apply for PR from alberta after completing Meng from Ottawa.....?(Under provincial nomination)

aman singh

Oct 26, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
20-03-2011
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
24-03-2011
LANDED..........
28-04-2011
Yes, you can apply under AINP.
6 months field related job on PGWP.

tiger007

Champion Member
glider said:
Is it possible to apply for PR from alberta after completing Meng from Ottawa.....?(Under provincial nomination)
Hi,

After completion of your M. Eng in Ottawa, you can shift to Alberta. There, you will need to find a skilled job (NOC O,A or B) related to your field of study, work there for atleast 6 months, and then apply for AINP nomination.

To know more about Alberta PNP and various other student immigration programs in Canada for international students (see April 2013 update with official links; mid page 6):
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.75.html

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

glider

Feb 25, 2013
Thankyou for your guidance. I have applied Meng program in Engineering management in Ottawa university . As per their website total course duration mentioned as 2 years full time. But I discussed and found that one can complete the course in three semesters including summer. What are the chances of getting three years PGWP if some is completing the 2 yrs course in three semesters.

Rupesh90

Star Member
Apr 20, 2013
tiger007 said:
Hi,

After completion of your M. Eng in Ottawa, you can shift to Alberta. There, you will need to find a skilled job (NOC O,A or B) related to your field of study, work there for atleast 6 months, and then apply for AINP nomination.

To know more about Alberta PNP and various other student immigration programs in Canada for international students (see April 2013 update with official links; mid page 6):
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/various-immigration-programmes-for-international-students-in-canada-t100908.75.html

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.
Hello Tiger007, I read many of your posts and you just rock bro... well I too have a question, please help me out with this.
I did B.Tech in computer science and engineering(80%), toefl-98.
I got rejected by UBC and UoAlberta.. I have applied to Carleton but on March-25(application would be considered for admission and funding IF space left) and they will take decision in second week of May.
I am little nervous about acceptance and becoz Carlton was my last option I thought of applying to other universities and colleges thus I have applied to Humber-IT Solutions(relates topics of my interest).
If I choose Humber I'll have to take IELTS becoz I came to know that when we apply to colleges through SPP, canadian embassy needs IELTS as mandatory english language proficiency. On the other hand there is university of Windsor which is accepting application till May1, I have time and if I choose Windsor I dont need to take IELTS. Some people say that universities are better than colleges and we should opt for universities(so windsor got plus point here) but the consultancy(IDP) through which I applied to Carleton and Humber told me that the reputation of Humber is better than Windsor(Humber got plus point)... She also said that Windsor gives admission to every applicant... Now thats rude but exactly what she said... I am totally confused ??? what to do.... please suggest.... should I apply to Windsor or not.. becoz I have option of Humber if I get rejected by Carleton ....

need visa

Apr 17, 2013
Is it true if ur course is ( o a b) list then u dont have work six month to apply AINP
You can apply if u have job offer in ur field of study

Thanks pls reply

tiger007

Champion Member
Rupesh90 said:
I did B.Tech in computer science and engineering(80%), toefl-98.
I got rejected by UBC and UoAlberta.. I have applied to Carleton but on March-25(application would be considered for admission and funding IF space left) and they will take decision in second week of May.
I am little nervous about acceptance and becoz Carlton was my last option I thought of applying to other universities and colleges thus I have applied to Humber-IT Solutions(relates topics of my interest).
If I choose Humber I'll have to take IELTS becoz I came to know that when we apply to colleges through SPP, canadian embassy needs IELTS as mandatory english language proficiency. On the other hand there is university of Windsor which is accepting application till May1, I have time and if I choose Windsor I dont need to take IELTS. Some people say that universities are better than colleges and we should opt for universities(so windsor got plus point here) but the consultancy(IDP) through which I applied to Carleton and Humber told me that the reputation of Humber is better than Windsor(Humber got plus point)... She also said that Windsor gives admission to every applicant... Now thats rude but exactly what she said... I am totally confused ??? what to do.... please suggest.... should I apply to Windsor or not.. becoz I have option of Humber if I get rejected by Carleton ....
Hi,

Very good marks in B.tech., but unfortunately only high marks cannot guarantee a seat in top level universities like UBC, UoAlberta, UoTrornto etc. if you get into Carleton ...good... or else, since you are already late to apply to any more M.Eng programs at universities for this Sept. 2013 intake... you will have to rethink your strategy.

You should have applied to other universities.. especially mid level universities..there are so many...

You can see general rankings of Canadian universities to get an overall idea.. as to which universities are reputed.
For example: http://www.university-list.net/canada/rank/univ-7007.htm
www.4icu.org/ca/

Here's the list of ALL recognized Canadian educational institutes eligible for OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

As far as progression is concerned... this Humber program looks good..4 sem/ PG certificate in IT related field. You will also be eligible for a 3 years PGWP.

I cannot verify the accuracy of what IDP told about Humber being better than UoWindsor.. but 1 thing, this year I can definitely see is that... UoWindsor is doing aggressive marketing and promotion to enroll as many students as possible from India. This tendency, will definitely lower the overall standards of students. They even offered admission into their MoM (without GMAT) program to a forum member who did part time M.Com !!!

There are forum members, who are facing similar situation, where they don't want to wait till Sept. 2014 intake, for entering M.Eng programs at Canadian universities... and are naturally considering entering PG certificate programs..mainly 2 year programs such as this Humber course you mentioned. At diploma level or directly at Bachelor/master levels (at universities).. there are various options... but at PG level... in colleges..choices are very limited.
There are quiet a many 1 year programs in CS/IT/Communications related field at PG level in colleges, but very few.. in fact just 2 programs of -- 4 semesters/2 academic years. One is this Humber program has 2 branches), and another is Wireless Information Networking program at Fleming college.

Now, there's another forum member.. who is eligible for 1 year M.Eng programs at universities... wants to pursue M.Eng program at a university... didn't apply for Sept. 2013 intakes..got late... but don't want to sit till Sept. 2014..so he has decided to pursue a 1 year/2 sem PG certificate program (related to his field- IT/Communications) and then while being in Canada, he plans to apply for M.Eng for 2014 Sept. intake at any of the Canadian public universities. This way, if you adopt this route, rather than studying a 2 years PG course... you will not only save time... enter Canada by Sept. 2013.. complete 1 year PG certificate..and then move on to a new 1 year M.Eng program in CS/IT at any of the Canadian public universities... gain a Master's degree, get 3 years PGWP... 'll 've far greater career options... as compared to a direct 2 years PG certificate of college.

If yes, it's an excellent plan for your career/long term goals as well as for immigration opportunities.. chances of skilled job will be MUCH higher.

As of now.. some of the 2 sem (not 3 sem..which will give you break in between to start Sept 2014 M. Eng program)/1 year PG cert. courses in CS/IT related fields ..this Sept. 2013 you can consider are...

http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/DAD.html

http://www.fanshawec.ca/programs-courses/full-time-programs/ISM1-intro

http://www.humber.ca/program/enterprise-software-development

http://www.northernc.on.ca/plant-automation

You may also purse 3 semester programs..but it will not give you any break..and immediately you will have to start your M.Eng program after your PG certificate... Some of good 3 sem/1 year PG programs you may consider are:

http://www.georgebrown.ca/T405-2013-2014/ (GBC IT analyst - good program..highly reccomended... provided you are interested in this course, after this you can move to M.Eng program..will definitely add value to your resume).

http://www.georgiancollege.ca/programs/outline/computer-and-network-systems-security-cnss/

http://www.conestogac.on.ca/fulltime/0066C.jsp

http://www.sheridancollege.ca/programs-and-courses/full-time-programs/programs-a-z-index/game-development-advanced-programming.aspx

http://www.cambriancollege.ca/Programs/Programs/201309BAGC.HTM

SO.. go through these links.. think..what you want to do..you want to directly study 2 years/4sem PG certificate and limit your chances..or you would like to study some 1 year (2 or 3sem) good quality PG program like the GBC IT analyst program... and then do a 1 year M.eng in CS from some university? You still have time to apply for a 1 year PG cet. course in any of these colleges... You will gain entry immediately..instead of wasting time... or giving up your dream of master's... And.. I'm sure..if you apply to 5-6 mid level universities... 1 year M.eng program for Sept. 2014 intake... you with your academic record..will surely make it into atleast 1 of them... So..you will have an option to pursue your Masters at a university, instead of committing yourself to a 2 years PG program. All these... in case you don't get into Carleton.

Think about it...

Hope it helps.

Best of Luck with you Carleton admission.

tiger007

Champion Member
glider said:
I have applied Meng program in Engineering management in Ottawa university . As per their website total course duration mentioned as 2 years full time. But I discussed and found that one can complete the course in three semesters including summer. What are the chances of getting three years PGWP if some is completing the 2 yrs course in three semesters.
Hi,

http://www.grad.uottawa.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=1727&monControl=Programmes&ProgId=591

If you see the UoOttawa Engineering Management (MEng) site, they have clearly mentioned, full time students complete it within 2 years. Moreover, if you see the total course credits... it's 18 compulsory courses equals 24 credits and 12 optional courses equals 36 credits..i.e total 24+36=60 credits, which is very well equal to an average course load of 4 semesters. Hence, even if you complete the course, in an accelerated fashion, even within 3 semesters, you will still be eligible for a 3years PGWP.

Hope it helps.

Rupesh90

Star Member
Apr 20, 2013
tiger007 said:
SO.. go through these links.. think..what you want to do..you want to directly study 2 years/4sem PG certificate and limit your chances..or you would like to study some 1 year (2 or 3sem) good quality PG program like the GBC IT analyst program... and then do a 1 year M.eng in CS from some university? You still have time to apply for a 1 year PG cet. course in any of these colleges... You will gain entry immediately..instead of wasting time... or giving up your dream of master's... And.. I'm sure..if you apply to 5-6 mid level universities... 1 year M.eng program for Sept. 2014 intake... you with your academic record..will surely make it into atleast 1 of them... So..you will have an option to pursue your Masters at a university, instead of committing yourself to a 2 years PG program. All these... in case you don't get into Carleton.

Think about it...

Hope it helps.

Best of Luck with you Carleton admission.

Hi Tiger, Thnx for the reply it is really helpful... but one thing I am concerned about is You said that if I did a 2 year PG my chances wil be limited. What does it exactly means? I mean limited in what sense like limited job opportunities or limited future studies opportunities or any thing else.... because I will get a 3 year PGWP in both cases... and is there any future PhD option if I did PG from College or do I have to do Masters then only I'll be eligible for PhD??

glider

Feb 25, 2013
Dear Tiger

I checked from the website total requirement of Meng is to complete 30 credits equivalent to 10- 13 courses approx. and also they have mentioned that total duration for the course is 2 years as full time. I am not clear about PGWP

tiger007

Champion Member
Rupesh90 said:
Hi Tiger, Thnx for the reply it is really helpful... but one thing I am concerned about is You said that if I did a 2 year PG my chances wil be limited. What does it exactly means? I mean limited in what sense like limited job opportunities or limited future studies opportunities or any thing else.... because I will get a 3 year PGWP in both cases... and is there any future PhD option if I did PG from College or do I have to do Masters then only I'll be eligible for PhD??
Hi,

Honestly it means... that most Canadians either pursue lower level trade certificates/diplomas OR practical career oriented diplomas in recognized Canadian colleges or directly pursue Bachelors or higher education in universities. rarely...do Canadians actually pursue these PG certificate course in Canadian colleges (especially these Ontario colleges and some other like the B.C colleges of NIC & Northern lights where they have recently started post degree diplomas in Business to attract international students) which are run keeping international students in mind. There are very few PG certificate/diploma colleges programs..which Canadians actually pursue. This trend started, when colleges found international students, are either overqualified for practical trades/diploma programs or underqualified for Master degrees/ higher education in good public universities..and thus to fill the gap, most probably such college programs started. These programs are heavily promoted by the educational consultants/agents in countries like India, where they get a lump-sum commission to send every student to these kind of PG programs. That being said... there is no set rule either, that an international student is bound to fail/i.e not get skilled professional job after these PG certificates/diplomas (although there r few programs which are quiet good).. .as in really, at the end...it all depends on individual capabilities and circumstances, skills, academic performance, networking abilities & communication skills etc... it's just that... pursuing trades/ practical diplomas/Master's (from good public universities) increases the odds of getting a skilled job substantially....

Only a 3 years PGWP, gives you TIME... i.e extra time to pursue immigration... nothing else. 3 years PGWP doesn't mean guaranteed PR. If tomorrow rules change or easy immigration policies like that of Saskatchewan shut down, majority of desi students who pursue these kind of quick entry PG certificate programs (especially business field programs) will be in limbo, when they will either have to find a skilled job or pay huge sums to not so trustworthy agents, in hope they help them get skilled jobs that may assist in overall immigration process. I'm sorry to be brutally honest..but even though today we have easier immigration polices such as those of Sask. and Manitoba PNPs, there's no guarantee these will not shut down tomorrow, and if that happens.. finding a skilled job will be the only way to immigrate. Reality is... even having a practical skilled trade/diploma from colleges or Master's from universities gives no guarantee of a good professional job, and finding a skilled job and getting PR is not a cakewalk like most desis seem to have that false sense of hope/ idea... especially if they rely ONLY on these PG certificates of colleges. As truth is, even native born Canadians often struggle face fierce competition to find those "skilled" jobs.
And for moving to PHd you need valid Master's degree from a Canadian public university.. not one of these PG cert./diplomas.

Others may agree or oppose with my views, and are welcome to discuss/debate.

Hope it's clear.

Kaustubh

May 1, 2013
Thanx Tiger007

In India agents promote Ontario colleges diploma courses as post graduate diploma but admision requirement for dis courses is only 12th .
Wats the real fact? Do students go for this diploma?

I had completed mechanical engineering but due to less marks (53 %) its difficult to get admission for masters program in any University. I got admission for Mining engg Technician diploma in Cambrian College. In my case doing diploma a good option?
As i had allready done with Bachelors engg... Do universities consider credits of this courses for Masters degree??
After completing post-secondary diploma does Canadian employer considers us as engineer or just labour???